real time web analytics
Report - - Carno Railway Station / Laura Ashley (Company) - Carno, Powys - May 2024 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Carno Railway Station / Laura Ashley (Company) - Carno, Powys - May 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

smithy_photographys

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Carno railway station

Carno is a closed railway station in Carno, on the Cambrian Line, that was part of the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway. The station was closed in 1965 as part of the Beeching Cuts though there are proposals to re-open it.

The History of Carno Station

Carno station was opened by the Newtown and Machynlleth Railway which had been incorporated in 1857 to connect the Llanidloes and Newtown Railway with Aberystwyth via Machynlleth. The 22mile (36.6 km) line was leased to the Oswestry and Newtown Railway and services began on 3 January 1863 from Machynlleth, calling at Caersws Junction, Pontdolgoch, Carno, Llanbrynmair and Cemmes Road. The line was single with passing loops at Carno, Llanbrynmair and Cemmes Road.

The station was situated to the north of Carno, which had a population of 717 in 1901. Two platforms were provided with the main station buildings and generously sized goods shed situated on the down platform. A signal box with 24 levers was erected at the west end of the down platform; it had a staff of four throughout the 1930s. The station was closed to goods traffic on 29 July 1963 and to passenger traffic on 14 June 1965 following the recommendation for its closure in the Beeching Report.

The line remained open and the station buildings were incorporated into the adjacent Laura Ashley factory complex until its closure in 2005. The signal box remained in service until 21 October 1988 when automatic half barriers were introduced on the level crossing at the west end of the station.

The Explore

Not much of this as just the building is standing as incorporated into the adjacent Laura Ashley factory, but worth including as part of this.

Estimate 1964
Carno Station 1.jpg

May 2024
DSC05840.jpg

Laura Ashley (company)

Laura Ashley is a British textile design company. It was founded by Bernard Ashley and his wife Laura Ashley in 1953 in London, and first became known for creating Victorian style head scarves, one of which was worn by Audrey Hepburn in the film Roman Holiday. The company relocated to Wales in 1961, and later grew to become an international retail chain with in excess of 500 stores, selling a variety of clothing and household goods. In 1985 the company was taken public after the death of its founder. Its products have been described as 'quintessentially English.

On 17 March 2020, the company filed for administration, and was relaunched after its sale to Gordan brothers.

The History of Laura Ashley

Bernard Ashley met Welsh secretary Laura Mountney at a youth club in Wallington, London. While working as a secretary and raising her first two children, part-time she designed napkins, table mats, and tea-towels which Bernard printed on a machine he had designed in an attic flat in Pimlico, London. The couple had invested £10 in wood for the screen frame, dyes and a few yards of linen. Laura's inspiration to start producing printed fabric came from a Women's Institute display of traditional handicrafts at the Victoria & Albert Museum. When Laura looked for small patches carrying Victorian designs to help her make patchworks, she found no such thing existed. Here was an opportunity, and she started to print Victorian style headscarves in 1953.

Audrey Hepburn inadvertently sparked the growth of one of the world's most successful fashion and home furnishing companies. Hepburn appeared alongside Gregory Peck in the 1953 film Roman Holiday, wearing a headscarf. As such a fashion icon, she instantly created a style that became popular around the globe. The Ashleys' scarves quickly became successful with stores, retailing both via mail order and high street chains such as John Lewis.

From 1953, Bernard left his city job and the couple began to expand the company, initially named Ashley Mountney Ltd incorporating Laura Ashley's maiden name. Laura designed the prints and Bernard built the printing equipment, so forging a complementary partnership that was to give the company its unique strength throughout the years. Laura remained in charge of design until shortly before her death, while Bernard handled the operational side.

Employing staff to cope with the growth of sales, the company name was changed to Laura Ashley because Bernard felt a woman's name was more appropriate for the type of products.

The Explore

I DO NOT ADVISE PEOPLE TO VISIT THIS SITE AS HAS ASBESTOS.

Access is simple enough for the explore. This is a quick passing visit so dint have much time or gear with me to truly do a full explore. The site has asbestos signs everywhere and insolation all over, I would want to go back all geared up and protected to do more rooms and places within the site when to be safe.

Sticking to the main floor there is plenty to see, Plenty of open rooms, canteen area and a workshop. These was all well vented as no roof left so felt comfortable for me to access.

The Building

DSC05839.jpg

DSC05761.jpg

The Reception

DSC05837.jpg

DSC05760.jpg

The Units / Wearhouse

DSC05818.jpg

DSC05804.jpg

DSC05787.jpg

DSC05815.jpg

DSC05786.jpg

DSC05785.jpg

DSC05776.jpg

DSC05764.jpg

DSC05763.jpg

DSC05819.jpg

DSC05803.jpg

DSC05791.jpg

DSC05777.jpg

DSC05774.jpg

Office Space

DSC05768.jpg

DSC05829.jpg

DSC05828.jpg

Workshop

DSC05798.jpg

DSC05792.jpg

DSC05797.jpg

Misc Items

DSC05793.jpg

DSC05823.jpg

DSC05812.jpg

DSC05808.jpg

Thank you​

Bikin Glynn

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Good to see someone else reporting this. Looks a lot different from My report, is the main office room still there? It all looks quite different

smithy_photographys

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Good to see someone else reporting this. Looks a lot different from My report, is the main office room still there? It all looks quite different
Vey different from what i see. The main offices is still there but didnt go into that. the asbestos warning was all over the offices, didnt want to risk it without all my protective gear. (as i dint have any because was just passing)