real time web analytics
Report - - RAF Oakington Officers Mess - April, 2024 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF Oakington Officers Mess - April, 2024

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

KPUrban_

Surprisingly Unsurprising
Regular User
RAF Oakington, Cambridgeshire, 2024

As derelict RAF bases go, this one has remined fairly forgotten. Nearly fifteen years on from disuse, the officers mess is the only noteworthy structure that remains derelict or intact.

DSC_7224.jpg

History

For more information, see the Oakington History website linked below.

RAF Oakington is one of many second world war constructions built as England sought to strengthen its airborne presence. With construction commissioned in 1939, the site was placed within the Anglia region due to the shorter distance over to mainland Europe and specifically chosen for Oakington due to the surplus of land and the nearby railway sidings.

Entering operation in July 1940, despite being far from complete with the airfield being formed of grass runways and buildings being formed from huts or trailers, Oakington would become home to the newly reformed No218 Squadron. The squadron would occupy the airfield from opening until late 1940 with a brief hiatus in between May and July 1940 as the squadron found themselves with no serviceable aircraft following heavy attacks over France.
Notable during this period, in the sense of War-time intelligence, Oakington would become the site in which the first German JU88 would be captured by the British intelligence following an emergency landing.

Following the closing months of 1940, No218 squadron had departed in favour RAF Marnham and, the No7 Heavy Bomber squadron had made themselves at home in Oakington along with the newly formed No3 Photographic Reconnaissance Unit.
The incomplete nature of Oakington was soon shown by the arrival of No7's heavier Stirlings and No3PRU's Wellingtons as the grass runways began to fail under the aircraft. During 1941, beacuse of the poor surface conditions, the aircraft of Oakingtons squadrons were detached to nearby airfields. No3PRU departed in July 1941 and were placed by the arrival of No101 Bomber Squadron. It wouldn't be until September 1941 that concrete runways would begin to materialise at Oakington.

Throughout 1942 until 1945 Oakington saw several squadrons based on the site. During the later war years, Oakington had been used as a base for bomber squadrons as well as intelligence and meteorological groups. Bomber command had completely left by the end of 1945 with intellegence and meterologial squadrons having departed by 1944. From this point until 1950 Okaington stood to serve numerous logistical groups until 1950.

From 1950 to '75 the airfield would be used as a field to house training aircraft for refreshing and progressing the knowledge of RAF pilots as well as providing training on new aircraft from conflicts such as the Korean war. This use use came to the displeasure of the local villages with jet aircraft becoming a much greater noise nuisance.
As the aircraft used to train at Oakington becoming obsolete and a lessening amount of pilots requiring training became apparent, Oakington Airfield would close during the opening months of 1975 leaving the site for use as housing barracks until full closure in 1999.

Post-MoD usage, Oakington would be secured by the Home Office in 2000 for use from 2005. The home office secured the use of four buildings to house asylum seekers during the processing of their claims with the secure fences ensuring they could not leave until they were either accepted or removed from the country. The home office vacated the site in late 2010 in preparation for redevelopment having processed around 450 claims and being declared the second worst facility of its type by the Prisons Inspector.

Today, there are only four remaining buildings which were presumably used during the final years by the home office.
This includes the Officers Mess (building 2), Squash Court (Building 4), Administration Building (Building 7) and, another unnamed building.

The Visit

I've had this site at the back of my mind for a long while and had written it off, after numerous tries during empty weekends and afternoons whilst out wandering. Having found the mess building to be the most likely candidate for anything interesting, effort was thrown at searching for a way into this over the other two dormant buildings. The first few attempts were half-hearted and all often ended after a clamber over the lethal fence and a walk around the building.

DSC_7221.jpg

A few years on I was again sat around with no plans so it was an opportunity to aimlessly drive somewhere. Having wandered down the site perimeter, to a slightly obscure set of branches to climb the fence, I was again surrounded by a miniature maze of locked fences and gates. The grounds by this point were rather down trodden with vehicle tracks and in a phase where change was nearing, which made getting to the mess slightly less painful than before. Still, the site was well sealed from any obvious perspective so a few wanders around seemed like the only outcome.
It took a lot of time to haul myself around the site with no success, however as I was readying to head on home an entrance became apparent. Slightly annoyed that I'd found a way in, and had scuppered the opportunity to grab an overpriced coffee from the local shop, I gingerly accepted that I'd at least have to give this place a quick wander. What I failed to anticipate was the worsening weather, being solo in a completely quiet and dark building is tense enough, and when you throw in the howling wind and banging it becomes a less than comfortable experience waddling about without any lighting.

DSC_7161.jpg

Taking photos here was a challenge since the steel sheets allowed little light in, darkening the interior, although enough to blow out any elements where windows and doors existed.

DSC_7199.jpg
One of the many bedrooms.

DSC_7185.jpg

DSC_7158.jpg

Random side-rooms

DSC_7152.jpg

Some of the connecting corridors between random empty rooms.

DSC_7196.jpg

There were elements that this building had been reused by the home office, judging by the handrails and door push-plates as well as other components which were of a public-building spec.

DSC_7190.jpg

DSC_7133.jpg

This dining hall was still in a relatively good condition and fairly original excluding the toy-box on the wall.

It was around this point when the weather began to worsen. Knowing I'd have to tackle a tricky exit on my own meant that I needed to get any photos over with sooner rather than later.

DSC_7139.jpg

Another dining hall, this one in a fairly garish red.

DSC_7168.jpg

Another open hall.

DSC_7213.jpg

DSC_7218.jpg

The canteen was unsurprisingly empty and a lot more industrial than the rest of the building.

DSC_7178.jpg

Not quite sure what happened to the focus here.

DSC_7144.jpg

Overview of the entrance foyer. Again, this looks to have been altered post-MoD use.

Anyway, that'll be all.
KP_

Last edited:

dansgas1000

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Superb stuff mate, bet you are glad you got inside in the end. I get what you mean about the banging and noises from the weather, it does make you feel on edge a bit. I've always had a soft spot for Officers Mess buildings and this looks like a good example, and some of the peel is lovely.

TheJungleBeast

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Lovely job, some cracking shots there dude.

On the subject on noises scaring the shit out of you.
I went for a smoke and chill in a Control tower on Saturday night, was pretty windy but I figured if I could block one window it would stop the draught, so I put my folded away umbrella through the window and opened it up, the suction held it in place like a seal, perfect.
So I get back in my camping chair and continue my smoke and cup of tea, at some point the air pressure in the room dropped and my brolly dropped down and slid across the floor in the room behind the window making a loud assed noise, I comepletely shit my pants and it took about 2 mins for my adrenaline to stop.

Mikeymutt🐶

28DL Regular User
Regular User
That’s a great one. Love how they all have that familiar feel but different in the decor. I love that tiled main foyer with desk. Never seen that in an officers mess. Don’t worry about the wind, it won’t get you ha ha.

Wastelandr

Goes where the Buddleia grows
Regular User
Great stuff mate, sounds like a fair bit of gymnastics went into this and it was worth it! That foyer is very cool.

Calamity Jane

i see beauty in the unloved, places & things
Regular User
Nice set. Sounds like a mare to get in, but it paid off. Some nice original features around.