1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Abbey Mills Pumping Stations 11/2010 (The Cathedral of Sewage)

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Oldskool, Oct 31, 2010.

  1. Oldskool

    Oldskool Guest
    Guest

    Visited with Host and Hidden Shadow...

    Left Manchester at 1.00 in the morning to drive down to London.
    Wanted to do this site for some time,after a long drive down we arrived ,parked up and entered the 'downpour' After a short treck and a little climb we were on site at the top of a banking (letts not forget the downpour) .

    Myself and Host had no problem navigating the steep and by now very slippy hill side but Hidden Shadow had other ideas, i think he got confused with urbex and snowboarding . He ended up and the bottom of the hill full of mud and sat in a bed of nettles..........say no more on with the history and pics...

    The original Abbey Mills Pumping Station, in Abbey Lane, London E15, is a seweragepumping station, designed by engineer Joseph Bazalgette, Edmund Cooper, and architectCharles Driver. It was built between 1865 and 1868. It was designed in a cruciform plan, with an elaborate Byzantine style, described as The Cathedral of Sewage. It has a twin,Crossness Pumping Station, south of the River Thames at Crossness, at the end of theSouthern Outfall Sewer.

    [​IMG]

    The pumping station was built at the site of an earlier watermill owned by the local Abbey, from which it gained its name.

    [​IMG] [​IMG]


    The pumps raised the sewage in the London sewerage system between the two Low Level Sewers and theNorthern Outfall Sewer, which was built in the 1860s to carry the increasing amount of sewage produced inLondon away from the centre of the city.
    Two Moorish styled chimneys – unused since steam power had been replaced by electric motors in 1933 – were demolished during the Second World War, as they were a landmark for German bombers on raids over the London docks.
    The building still houses electric pumps – to be used in reserve for the new facility next door.
    The main building is grade II* listed and there are many grade II listed ancillary buildings, including the stumps of the demolished chimneys.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The outer buildings...

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    The modern pumping station


    The new Abbey Mills Pumping Station (Station F)
    The modern pumping station (Station F) was designed by architects Allies and Morrison. The old building (Station A) has electrical pumps for use as a standby; the modern station is one of the three principal London pumping stations dealing with foul water.
    One of world's largest installation of drum screens to treat sewage was constructed as part of theThames Tideway Scheme. The site is managed and operated by Thames Water.

    Abbey Mills Pumping Station GV II* Sewage Pumping Station 1868: Architects: Sir J Bazalgette and E Cooper in Italian Gothic style. Greek Cross plan. Yellow brick with red and blue brick and stone dressings. Slate mansard roof. Two storeys plus dormers. Entrance wing and the ends of the other arms five bays wide with round headed central entrance porch. Round headed windows with polychrome decoration. Larger central window to upper storey divided by elaborate cast ironwork. Heavy stone string course to ground and first floors. Modillioned eaves cornice. Elaborate timber door with foliated ironwork. Slightly pointed yellow and red brick arches to recessed sash windows. Central octagonal domed lantern with round arched gabled windows to each face, containing case iron tracery. Elaborate wrought iron cresting to dome. Flamboyant interior or enriched cast ironwork. Central octagonal lantern. Original beam engines have been removed. Elaborate carving of stonework outside and inside.

    Just a foot note sleeping on a iron floor isn't a good idea (pro hobo)

    Thanks for looking OLDSKOOL...​
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in