1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Abernant Tunnel- Merthyr Tydfil- Feb '12

Discussion in 'Underground Sites' started by Landsker, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. Landsker

    Landsker The Rock Man
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2008
    Messages:
    89
    Likes Received:
    8
    Many thanks for cunningcorgi showing me around for a day of Welsh train tunnels!

    History

    In 1845, Isambard Kingdom Brunel surveyed and prepared parliamentary plans for the Vale of Neath Railway which involved a 2,497-yard hole through the hill between Merthyr Tydfil and Aberdare, the second longest of Wales' tunnels. 650 feet below ground at its deepest point, it was built to accommodate broad gauge and formed part of the 6¼-mile Gelli Tarw Junction-Merthyr extension, opening on 2nd November 1853. It regularly takes two names - Merthyr, which is to its east, and Abernant.
    The contractor (Mr Davis) sunk two construction shafts, 1,280 yards apart, from which he drove 7-foot headings. One of these shafts was 282 feet deep. A system of troughs and fans pumped air down to the face whilst a 1-inch diameter pipe forced water at high-pressure through ‘roses’ into the workings to clear the powder-smoke hanging in the air after blasting.
    A third rail was added to the predominantly single track route in 1863, allowing GWR trains to reach Swansea. The broad gauge rail was removed and the line converted to standard gauge on 11th May 1872.
    In the mid-1870s, the tunnel partly collapsed as a goods train passed through, almost burying the locomotive. Locals declared the structure to be dangerous, a claim unsurprisingly contradicted by the investigating officer. Subsidence caused by mining beneath the tunnel later resulted in part of the structure settling by 10 feet.
    The S-shaped bore has masonry walls and a brick-lined roof. Close to its centre are two platelayers’ cabins. At the western end, for around 400 yards, the bore is wide enough for a double track layout; two small buildings mark the point where it suddenly becomes single.
    The route was closed to traffic on 31st December 1962.

    1 eastern portal

    [​IMG]

    2 The start of the tunnel

    [​IMG]

    3 Workers Refuge

    [​IMG]

    4 Near the centre of the tunnel is what looks like a makeshift chapel

    [​IMG]

    5 Looking in

    [​IMG]

    6 Book of mormon


    [​IMG]

    7 In the darkness

    [​IMG]

    8 Near the western portal the tunnel opens up

    [​IMG]

    9 Looking Back

    [​IMG]

    10 Western Portal

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in