1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Alderman Newtons School, Leicester - February 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by Goldie87, Feb 23, 2014.

  1. Goldie87

    Goldie87 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 3, 2007
    Messages:
    286
    Likes Received:
    154
    Gabriel Newton was born in 1683 and lived in the Leicester area for most of his childhood. When the time came for Gabriel to seek employment, he was apprenticed as a wool comber and at first it seemed he would earn his living in the textile industry. However he eventually left this occupation to become an inn keeper, being the landlord of the Horse & Trumpet Inn near the High Cross for many years. He became interested and involved in local government, becoming a freeman of Leicester in 1702, a councilman in 1710, an Alderman in 1726 and then Mayor of Leicester in 1732. His involvement with local government lasted more than 50 years.

    The death of his son George in 1746 led to great sadness, and led to Gabriel donating money to help provide education for the children of the poor. In 1747 a school for 35 poor boys was established within the precincts of St Martins Church, but this did not last long and it appeared it would fail. However after his death in 1762 he left money to support the founding of a school, and eventually in 1784 the Borough Fathers established what was to become Alderman Newtons School. The school ceased to exist after the City Council closed many secondry schools in the city in 1999.

    The building featured in this explore was occupied by the boys school from 1864 to 1884. After a break and extensions it reopened as a public elementary school for boys. the boys moved out in 1920, after which the Alderman Newtons Girls School occupied it until 1959. The building was later used by Leicester Grammar School, until they moved out in 2008. In 2012 the remains of King Richard III were found in an ajoining car park, and now the old school buildings are undergoing a 4 million pound conversion to a visitor centre.


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in