1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Associated British Ports-Garston Docks-Liverpool March 2013

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by kevsy21, Apr 18, 2013.

  1. kevsy21

    kevsy21 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2009
    Messages:
    153
    Likes Received:
    5
    Associated British Ports is one of Britain's leading port operators.The Port of Garston, is on the north bank of the River Mersey, its seven miles from Liverpool city centre. Its easy links to the M56, M62, and M6 make the port a natural gateway to the industrial heartlands of north-west England and the surrounding counties.
    It handles Dry bulks,General cargo,Scrap metal,Cement and Steel.handling around 550,000 tonnes each year over a 65 acre site.


    Garston Docks were established by the St. Helens Canal & Railway Company in 1853. During the years ownership passed through that of the London and North Western Railway (L&NWR), London Midland and Scottish Railway, British Railways associated British Transport Docks Board and finally to Associated British Ports plc - the company which acquired the assets of the railway ports on privatisation. The close association of the docks with the railway network came to an end in 1987 when the railway link was abandoned.

    The first to be constructed was Old Dock opened on June 01, 1853 by the St. Helens Canal & Railway Company - built as an alternative to the very tidal Widnes Docks. The London and North Western Railway Company acquired the port in 1864 and constructed the North Dock which opened in 1876. Further expansion took place in the early 20th Century when the largest of the three docks Stalbridge Dock was opened on February 24, 1909. It was named Stalbridge Dock by Lord Stalbridge, Chairman of the London and North Western Railway. For the opening the White Star Line's MAGNETIC was chartered for invited guests and sailed from Prince's Landing Stage to Garston for the opening ceremony.


    It turned out we had picked a decent day to take a look in the docks with the weather a lot better then it had been,tbh it turned out a decent wander although we didnt push our luck and spend too long there.After all,its covered by Port law and not a place to get rumbled.
    The Docks have changed quite a lot over the years,the old cranes have been scrapped and removed also the conveyor systems have gone.

    Anyway,on with the pics.

    Visited with Georgie

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Interesting Signage
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Georgie
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Thanks for looking​
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in