1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Atkinson Morley Hospital B&W March 2010

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by vwdirtboy, Mar 16, 2010.

  1. vwdirtboy

    vwdirtboy Keeuunnntt!
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2010
    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    14
    Atkinson Morley Hospital, Wimbledon

    A Mostly Mono-chromatic Study Of Decay Part II

    Deflowered by Petzl & Myself

    Atkinson Morley Hospital (AMH) was located at Copse Hill, Wimbledon, London , SW20, England from 1869 until 2003. The hospital was noted as one of the most advanced brain surgery centres in the world, and in particular for the first use of computed tomography (CT) on a human being in 1972 by Godfrey Hounsfield for which he was awarded the 1979 Nobel Prize in Medicine.

    The hospital was opened in 1869 following a donation of £100,000 by Mr Atkinson Morley, a wealthy hotelier and landowner, to St George's Hospital "for receiving, maintaining, and generally assisting convalescent poor patients". Mr Atkinson Morley had been a medical student at St George's Hospital, Hyde Park Corner about 1800. 28 acres of land from the Duke of Wellington's old estate in Wimbledon was bought and a building was constructed in the Second Empire style.

    The hospital remained a convalescent home until 1939. During World War II, when the Bolingbroke and St. George’s acted as emergency hospitals for war casualties, the Neurosurgery Unit was established at the AMH by the neurosurgeon Sir Wylie McKissock. As the Regional Neurosciences Unit for South West London, the hospital even had its own helicopter landing facility. Nextdoor was the Wolfson Neuro-Rehabilitation Centre.

    The hospital remained open until 2003 when neurology services were relocated to a purpose built wing of the main St George's Hospital site, which had by then moved to Tooting.

    Well this one was a turn up for the books! Out on our usual Monday explore we decided to head off to Londinium for the day.. A minor fail on the twatnav kept us away and after a short visit to a internet cafe we were off again! After a wander round the perimeter and a scamble thru the brambles in shorts (grr) access was granted easily by the god of UE!

    The Pikeys have been proper busy in here, all the Brass and Copper seems to have been lifted.. Cheap hacksaws and packaging was littering the place. The chav's have had their fill too.. Lots more grafitti and panelling & partitions kicked thru.

    More shananigans and malarky were afoot as we played cat and mouse with security who seemed hell bent on finding us! We were the noisiest Ninja's and they were hot on our tails.. lots of hiding and shushing and we got our pics.. The Mortuary was unattainable this trip as this seemed to be where security was hottest :gay


    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]



    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]
     
    girtrood likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in