1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Lead or Rumour info - Bangour Village Hospital, West Lothian - July 2013

Discussion in 'Leads, Rumours and News...' started by AuntieKnickers, Jul 10, 2013.

  1. AuntieKnickers

    AuntieKnickers inquisitive historian
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2010
    Messages:
    421
    Likes Received:
    71
    This was one in the line of many sites planned for a week break in bonny Scotland with The Stig.

    Was pleasantly suprised by this place and disappointed at the fact that every building was on lock down and was as tight as a ducks arse. So i am sorry to say all there is to this report is externals but definately one to keep an eye on regardless of the patrolling live on site security.

    History (thanks to Wikipedia)

    Bangour Village Hospital was a psychiatric hospital located west of Dechmont, Scotland. It was officially opened in October 1906 (under the name Edinburgh District Asylum), although patients had been admitted in June 1904.

    [​IMG]

    The hospital was modelled on the Alt Scherbitz asylum of the 1870s, at Schkeuditz, Germany, and represents one of the first "colony" plan psychiatric hospitals in Scotland. The Bangour institution comprised individual villas which would house approximately 30 patients each. The village also incorporated its own railway station, a farm, bakery, workshops, recreation hall, school, shop, library, and latterly, and a multi-denominational church.

    The hospital was requisitioned by the government War Office during both wars when it became "Edinburgh War Hospital" and "The Scottish Emergency Medical Hospital", reverting to a psychiatric hospital between and after the wars.

    The number of patients rose to over 3,000 in 1918. Temporary marquees and prefabricated huts were erected to cope with the demand for bed space, for both patients and staff. This led to the creation of Bangour General Hospital in the surrounding grounds, which was to become a world leader in many medical fields, in particular its esteemed burns and plastic surgery unit which was established in 1940.It also had a 1st class Maternity Unit serving the whole of the county.

    In 1989, St John's Hospital opened in nearby Livingston, and services were transferred from Bangour General Hospital, which closed in the early 1990s. The Village Hospital also started to wind down after the opening of St Johns, with the last remaining ward closing in 2004.

    The hospital site comprises numerous buildings and structures, including 13 category A listed buildings. An architectural competition held in 1898 was won by Hippolyte Blanc. The villas are domestic in character, while the nurse's home is more institutional. The villas were set within landscaped grounds, and are built in a 17th-century Scottish Renaissance style, with numerous individual variations. At the centre of the site is an Edwardian Baroque hall, and a Romanesque style church, which was designed by H. O. Tarbolton and built 1924-1930.

    The closed hospital was used as a filming location for the 2005 film The Jacket, starring Keira Knightley and Adrian Brody.

    In 2004, an outline planning application was submitted by Persimmon Homes, who are seeking to convert the site into a residential development. The proposals include retention of the listed buildings, which will be converted to apartments, and new detached homes, for a total of 500 units. As of March 2008, the application is yet to be determined by West Lothian Council. In August 2008 though, Persimmon Homes announced they were not going continue with developing the site, blaming the downturn in the economy.

    During September 2009, the hospital grounds were used as the site for "Exercise Green Gate", a counter-terrorist exercise run by the Scottish Government to test de-contamination procedures in the event of a nuclear, chemical or biological incident. This involved 250 volunteer "casualties" and 400 emergency staff.

    An indication to the scale of the site


    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking​
     
    #1 AuntieKnickers, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. Els

    Els Obsessed with BS7671
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Aug 6, 2008
    Messages:
    1,017
    Likes Received:
    195
    Not really a report mate, so I've moved it into leads :)
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in