1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Baron Hill mansion, June 2011, beaumaris anglesey

Discussion in 'Other Sites' started by The Kwan, Nov 6, 2011.

  1. The Kwan

    The Kwan funksoul Brother
    Regular User

    Mar 28, 2011
    Likes Received:
    A VISIT TO A MANSION earlier this year.....visited with sephiroth

    Baron Hill is an estate in Beaumaris, Anglesey, named after the hill on which it stands. It was established in 1618 by Sir Richard Bulkeley, as the seat of the influential Bulkeley family , who were originally from Cheshire, until William Bulkeley was appointed Deputy Constable of Beaumaris Castle. He then married one of the daughters of Gwilym ap Gruffydd ap Gwylim, a local big cheese, and began the accumulation of land and public offices, which eventually lead to the Bulkeley family being one of the largest landowners in Anglesey.

    The house was built in 1618 during the reign of James the 1st and was re-modelled in the Neo-Palladian style in 1776.

    King Edward VII visited Baron Hill and had tea on the terrace in 1907. Shortly after this, during WW1, death duties soaked up the family fortune and made it impossible for the family (by then called Williams-Bulkeley) to continue to maintain the house. They were forced to move into more modest accommodation nearby.

    Baron Hill was then used for storage until WW2, when it was converted into a billet for Polish soldiers. Apparently the old house was so cold at night that the Poles burnt down part of the building in the hope that they would be transferred to warmer accommodation, but this backfired on them, as they were re-housed in colder wooden huts in the gardens.


    as it was back then.

    and as it is today (note the shadows across the windows) the place falls apart but the sun still shines the same day in and day out.

    delapidated but still beautiful

    Grand doorway

    The king Edward VII had tea here in 1907

    and the same terrace today

    inside the main staircase is in a bad way

    part is missing and has to be travelled by plank...easy going up but a mare coming down

    a boot that probably belonged to a polish soldier

    The bog, again the last bottom to perch on this was probably Polish.

    The kitchen


    Outside again

    inside one of the rooms it was too unsafe to venture to far inside.

    servants entrance

    Thanks for looking
    #1 The Kwan, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in