1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Barony Power Station & A-frame, Auchinleck, Ayrshire. May 2012

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by bx_83, Jun 17, 2012.

  1. bx_83

    bx_83 complete novice at this
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2012
    Messages:
    5
    Likes Received:
    0
    A brief history gleamed from several online sources;

    - Between 1907 and 1912 the Barony Colliery sank it's first 2 shafts.
    - Reconstruction of the colliery begun in 1937, but was delayed for 10 years because of World War II. New projects included the sinking of a third shaft.
    - In 1954 the Barony A-frame was installed.
    - In 1957 the electricity power station using a sludgy mix of coal particles, clay and water as fuel started production.
    - 1962 reconstruction completed, production ceased following the total collapse of No.2 shaft in which several men were killed. The neighbouring shaft No. 1 had to be filled in.
    - In 1965, the resumption of production was achieved through the sinking of a fourth shaft, the mine was connected to the national grid, and its power station converted to an electrified substation and workshop.
    - In 1983 Power station closed.
    - In 1984/5 Miners strike
    - 12 May 1984 - Station reopened
    - The cooling towers and chimney demolished in 1986.
    - 1989 - Barony colliery, which employed 1,200 at its peak, closed after 82 years in operation
    - 21st January 2008 - Barony A Frame Monument, restored by the Barony A Frame Trust, officially opened by Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay.

    Online Sources;

    http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/72648/details/barony+colliery+1+2+3+and+4/

    http://www.s1auchinleck.com/memories/a-very-brief-history-of-auchinleck.html

    http://urbanglasgow.co.uk/archive/auchinleck-s-barony-colliery-and-power-station__o_t__t_682.html

    Archive image of area before closures and demolision.
    [​IMG]

    Images of the remaining building not demolished. On the Archive photo its the smallest L-shaped buildng left of the centre of the photo.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The A-frame.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Enjoy!
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in