1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - British Coal,Littleton Colliery,Cannock-22/5/94

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by A man called Martyn, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. A man called Martyn

    A man called Martyn cultural theorist
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Aug 30, 2008
    Messages:
    154
    Likes Received:
    50
    Not done as an explore back then.But thought it may interest some to see the demise of the last working pit on the south staffordshire coalfield.
    The colliery started life in may 1873.The Cannock and Huntingdon Colliery co. attempted to sink two shafts using the belgian kind chauldon method of boring followed by inserting iron tubbing.After making this tubbing watertight the shaft would be sunk by hand.In 1880 having got to a depth of 438ft water broke in and flooded the shafts.The company was wound up in 1884.Work started again in 1897 by Lord Hatherton,the Landowner,The No.2 Shaft was sunk to a depth of 1,644ft on 17th feb 1899.Work to recover the No.1 shaft was abandoned on 3rd May 1900 and a new shaft was sunk.This was completed to a depth of 1,662ft on 22 nov 1902.As Littleton Collieries Ltd the colliery was to be one of the most successful in the area.The pit was closed late in 1993.
    when i photographed the site work was being undertaken to recover equipment from underground before the shafts were filled in.

    [​IMG]
    Headgear over the upcast shaft.The Evasse chimney of the mine ventilating fan is on the right.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    Railway link
    [​IMG]
    The downcast shaft seen among the rest of the colliery buildings.The shaft had being equipped with skips to improve production in the 1960s.This resulted in the figure of 1,000,000 tons per year being a regular feature in the latter years of the colliery.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
    The demolition pictures are from summer 1995.
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The site is now being turned into a housing estate.
    Historical information sourced from The South Staffordshire Coalfield by Nigel A.Chapman.
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in