1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Broughton - RAF Longley Lane SOC Communications Bunker - Feb 2011

Discussion in 'Military Sites' started by nij, Feb 20, 2011.

  1. nij

    nij 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    Messages:
    40
    Likes Received:
    0
    The Communications bunker for the Rotor Sector Operations Centre at RAF Longley Lane is located on the west side of a farm track on the west side of the M6. The other, more well known buildings, that made up RAF Longley Lane SOC are located on the east side of the M6. The 'ops' block is in Langley Lane and later served as the ROC 21 Group HQ. The site is now occupied by a vet's surgery although the bunker is unused. The filter room and stand-by set house are in Whittingham Lane and are both unused although the filter room was sold by auction in 2000.

    The bunker was built during WW2 within the grounds of RAF Barton Hall which was No 9 Group Fighter Command HQ and ROC North West Area HQ between 1941-1953; comprising Barton Hall, Comms. Block, 'Ops' Block, Filter Block and the Standby Set House.

    In the Rotor period the bunker complex was renamed RAF Longley Lane while Barton Hall itself became a CAA training school.

    The bunker housed all the communications equipment for the SOC (radio, telephone, teleprinter etc.) feeding into the filter room and the 'ops' room. It consists of an earth covered block with two entrances in the western face. The northern personnel entrance leads into a series of rooms on either side of a short corridor. Two of the rooms still have signs on the doors indicating that they contained high voltage equipment; one appears to have been the transformer room. At the end of the corridor there is a larger room with two engine beds.

    Text taken from subrit

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in