1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Cherry Knowles Lunatic Asylum (Laurels), September 2011.

Discussion in 'Asylums and Hospitals' started by stranton, Feb 28, 2012.

  1. stranton

    stranton subterranean explorer
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2011
    Messages:
    1,308
    Likes Received:
    608
    The Laurels was designed by asylum architect George Thomas Hine 1842-1916,
    the foundation stone was laid by Ald Stansfield Richardson in 1893 and opened in 1895.
    The site covers 47 hectares of land,
    the buildings are a compact arrow echelon plan projecting symmetrically east and west from a central location (hall and chapel).
    The roofs are slate and the walls are red brick, Some minor extensions and one major extension at the west end opened in the 1930s.
    The Laurels was grade 2 listed then delisted, and closed in 1998.
    The land is owned by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) and the Laurels was demolished between March 2011-October 2011,
    it hurts me to witness such grand buildings been demolished to make way for lego land housing estates.
    The Buildings were in a poor way due to destruction and neglect,
    Since 2008 a 7 foot palisade fence had been erected and security put on this is 10 years over due as the damage has already been done.
    Nothing remains

    welcome to
    [​IMG]

    facade east
    [​IMG]

    chapel/hall
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    building east
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    1930s extension east
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    east
    [​IMG]

    middle
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    1930s extension
    [​IMG]

    hall
    [​IMG]

    chapel
    [​IMG]

    stained glass
    [​IMG]

    corridor from 1930s extension
    [​IMG]

    corridor to 1930s extension
    [​IMG]

    subterranean steam tunnels
    entrance/exit
    [​IMG]

    steps
    [​IMG]

    north
    [​IMG]

    south
    [​IMG]

    east
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    1930s extension east
    [​IMG]

    west
    [​IMG]

    isolation
    [​IMG]

    Demolition
    [​IMG]

    stranton4002@gmail.com
     
    #1 stranton, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
    Coolboyslim likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in