1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Church House, Manchester - November 2013

Discussion in 'High Stuff' started by tweek, Nov 16, 2013.

  1. tweek

    tweek Huddersfield Tourist Information Board
    Regular User

    Jun 14, 2011
    Likes Received:
    Church House, Manchester - November 2013

    Visited solo

    Quite enjoyed this roof. Lots of different levels to it, and some nice views either side over Deansgate and Parsonage Gardens respectively. Funny also watching the pished revellers falling out of the various venues fighting at 3am in the morning.



    Church House is located at 90 Deansgate. It is the official business address of the Manchester Diocesan Board of Finance, the Board of Education and the Diocesan Advisory Committee for the Care of Churches.

    The Church House Company Ltd was incorporated on 6 August 1908 and moved into Church House, Deansgate on 18 October 1911. The Archbishop of York opened the building at noon, afternoon tea was provided for 800 guests and the celebrations concluded with an organ recital in the newly furnished Houldsworth Hall in the evening.

    The first Board of Directors was a roll-call of the ‘movers and shakers’ in the business and commercial life of Lancashire and Manchester – Colonel Clapham, Sir William Holdsworth and Henry A Heywood, who was not only a member of the city’s banking fraternity but also one of Manchester’s greatest benefactors. They had been charged with building a Church House and so provide rooms for the Bishop of Manchester, his Council and Committees and offices for staff. Shops and offices for other businesses were built so ensuring financial stability without any charge on the parishes – even to this day!

    A club house with bedrooms was also constructed. In those days, before the establishment of the Diocese of Blackburn, the Bishop of Manchester’s writ ran from the Mersey to way beyond Blackpool! It was a long way to come for an afternoon meeting in Manchester. Bishop Knox was authorised by the Directors to spend a week in London in 1911 (at the Company’s expense) seeking out support for the buying of shares among Members of Parliament and others connected with Manchester to finance the development.

    In later years, ownership of shares slipped away from diocesan hands. However, between 1970 and 1990 the Diocesan Board of Finance carefully advanced its holdings and now holds 98% of the shares. In 2002 a training centre was constructed within the building and an extensive programme of up-dating offices was set in hand.

    Now, the officers and support staff of the Board of Finance, Education, Ministry and Social Affairs, Church Buildings and Communications are all located within the building. So too, the office and shop of the Mothers’ Union and the office of the Diocesan Registrar. The requirement to provide rooms for the Bishop of Manchester and his diocesan staff remains as it has for 100 years.

    Behind Church House, sits Parsonage Gardens, a little-known urban oasis in Manchester...





    [​IMG] [​IMG]



    :Not Worthy
    #1 tweek, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in