1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Copse Hill Tower Crane (42.1 meters)

Discussion in 'High Stuff' started by Open World, Oct 28, 2015.

  1. Open World

    Open World 28DL Member
    28DL Member

    Oct 28, 2015
    Likes Received:
    Formally known as Atkinson Morley Hospital, and opened in 1869 the 300 acre Wimbledon Hill Park medical center estate (located at Copse Hill, Wimbledon) closed down in 2003 following the expansion of George's hospital, Tooting.
    (Extra Information: Wimbledon Guardian)

    Following upgrades during the Second World War the site was able to offer much greater bed numbers and staff on site. In 1942 Atkinson Morley’s original convalescent role was permanently changed when its surgical wards were taken over for neurosurgery, and after the war this became its primary role.
    In 1949 departments of psychiatry and neuroradiology were established at Atkinson Morley’s Hospital and by 1954 it had 44 neurosurgical beds, 16 neurological and 50 psychiatric, with 14 beds available for continuity and recovery.
    But only 14 years later Copse Hill’s association with hospitals suffered its first hit. In 1981 it was decided to close Wimbledon Hospital and move its services elsewhere. This finally happened in 1983 when services moved to the Nelson at Merton Park and the hospital was demolished the following year to be replaced by a housing estate. Nearly 20 years later in 2003, Atkinson Morley’s also closed and its services were transferred to St George’s Hospital, now transferred from Hyde Park Corner to Tooting.

    Since closure the building sat abandoned, with graffiti artists moving in and arson attacks beginning to take place the area was badly in need of development despite the slice of history that may be lost. In 2014 Berkeley Homes purchased the land and are currently redeveloping it into luxury apartments with multi million pound price tags. Below is an artists representation of the completed site. The architecture of the building is being somewhat kept (primarily due to council planning regulations).
    #1 Open World, Oct 28, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in