1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Crossgates Tunnel, Furness, April 2014

Discussion in 'Underground Sites' started by Keynsham, Apr 27, 2014.

  1. Keynsham

    Keynsham 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2013
    Messages:
    39
    Likes Received:
    14
    Crossgates tunnel may be the minimum amount of tunnel to qualify as a tunnel. The Eastern portal was filled in when the area was a council tip in the 1970s, the western portal has been robbed out for stone for garden walls and the whole thing is single track and so short that daylight reaches the far end.
    History:
    The Butts tramway was built as a narrow gauge line about 1849 to conect Joseph Rawlinson's mines at Crossgates with an ore depot at Crooklands, then the terminus of the Furness Railway. The tunnel would be part of the extension of the tramway to Old Hills in 1855. Steam locomotives replaced the horses in 1857 and the tramway was extended to reach Rawlinson's mines at Poaka and Carkettle.
    Rawlinson sold his mines to the Furness Iron & Steel Co in 1871 and that company was taken over by the Askam and Mouzel company in 1881. They built a new standard gauge line from Crooklands to Askam in 1882 but the narrow gague line remained in use. It was the closure of this line in 1899 which prompted the widening of the tunnel to allow ore to be loaded near Tytup Farm. The mines closed before the first world war and most of the track of the Askam and Mouzel tramway was lifted in 1915.
    [​IMG]
    The line of the tramway aproaching the tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    Western portal
    [​IMG]
    Eastern portal
    [​IMG]
    Looking out
    [​IMG]
    The only feature of the tunnel is this drainage gully on either side, now growing calcite.
    [​IMG]
    1889 OS map showing the tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    While I explored the tunnel, the dog found a toy to play with.
    [​IMG]
    Engine house at Water balance pit.
    Thanks for looking.
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. Ojay

    Ojay Admin
    Staff Member Admin

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2008
    Messages:
    4,836
    Likes Received:
    1,524
    Moar dogs need to go exploring tunnels, sadly mine won't entertain sewers :(
     
  3. pigdog

    pigdog 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    48
    binky says hi to a fellow explorer dog
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in