1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Cwmcerwyn Tunnel - Maesteg - Wales - March 14

Discussion in 'Underground Sites' started by Lenston, May 3, 2014.

  1. Lenston

    Lenston Bajo Tierra
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2013
    Messages:
    1,486
    Likes Received:
    733
    Visted a couple of months back with Cunningcorgi and Dangerous Dave

    History ( Forgotton Relics )

    In 1894, the Port Talbot Railway and Docks Company obtained Parliamentary approval to redevelop the town's existing harbour and docks, construct a new dock with a deep water lock and piers, and equip them with the best handling facilities available at the time. The intention was to open up the extensive and practically untouched coalfields of the Llynvi, Garw and Dyffryn valleys by providing unrivalled shipment facilities, Port Talbot being much closer than the existing docks at Swansea, Barry or Cardiff.
    To transport the coal for export, the second element of the scheme involved the laying of a meandering 17-mile railway linking Port Talbot with Pontyrhyll via Bryn, Maesteg and Lletty Brongu. Loaded trains faced a stiff climb on a ruling gradient of 1:75 as far as the line's summit, thereafter enjoying a 1:40 descent. The tightest curve was of 10 chains radius.
    Work on the railway - with an estimated price tag of £200,000 - got underway on 1st March 1895 and was fulfilled by Messrs S Pearson & Son, contractors based in Westminster. Scheduled for completion in March 1897, the single track actually opened for traffic five months late, on 31st August. The PTR&D extended its reach by opening two other connecting lines during 1898; its new docks were also inaugurated that year.

    The railway's principal engineering feat was Cwmcerwyn (or Bryn) Tunnel, extending for 1,012 yards. It passes through mixed strata, resulting in a varied approach to construction and several changes in profile. In some places where rock was encountered, sidewalls were dispensed with, the arch being supported on shelves. But generally the lining comprises four or five brick rings in lime mortar, with brickwork or stone sidewalls. At a few locations, short lengths of concrete invert were also added.
    Ground movement was recorded from the outset, prompting an assortment of remedial works. The worst affected section of 180 feet was found 362 yards from the western end. Here, various measures were taken to address bulging of the sidewalls, with a length of 35 feet strengthened in 1898 by constructing five sections of concrete invert, whilst in August 1902 a further 70-foot length was similarly dealt with. 1907 brought the decision to rebuild this entire part with cast iron segments, a project that was undertaken by Messrs Perry & Co without affecting traffic on the line.

    The tunnel marks summit level of the PTR. It is level for almost half its length from the eastern entrance, but the gradient thereafter falls at 1 in 70. The transition point was located at No.29 tablet where the remains of a gong can still be found in the adjacent refuge, presumably having been installed to provide footplate crews with an audible warning of the change. At the west portal the gradient steepens abruptly to 1 in 40. Curves feature at both ends, but the eastern one is bearly perceptible, extending only for a few yards.

    The condition of the tunnel's lining is generally fair although some distortion is apparent in places. Around 330 yards from the west end, four strengthening ribs have been inserted, supported on timber footings. Water eaches through the brickwork at many locations, forming substantial calcite deposits on the walls. Failure of the drainage system has resulted in thick mud accumulating, particularly through the level eastern half.
    Refuges are provided at regular intervals on both sides and two mileposts still stand against the south sidewall. Close to the west portal in the curved section are the remains of a device that was probably installed to lubricate the rails and reduce wheel squeal.

    The portals are both modest brick affairs, with commemorative keystones inscribed "PTR 1897". They are secured by brick blockwalls, above which are high-level grilles for ventilation. These were installed by British Railways Board (Residuary) in July 2013. The saturated eastern approach cutting is the more secluded of the two, with steep sides; both are about 90 yards in length. The tunnel is identified by its structure number PTP/5m 8ch.

    The Port Talbot Railway effectively became a long branch line on New Year's Eve 1951 with closure of the eastern section from Lletty Brongu to Pontyrhyll. Freight traffic continued to venture as far as Maesteg Neath Road - through the tunnel - until closure claimed the PTR on 31st August 1964

    Some Pics

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    Nick0 likes this.

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

  2. Will Knot

    Will Knot 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 29, 2013
    Messages:
    1,493
    Likes Received:
    419
    Some mint pics there mate, love that brick work, wouldn't mind a look in myself, thanks for sharin' :thumb
     
  3. georgie

    georgie He Never Even Got There
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 2, 2009
    Messages:
    853
    Likes Received:
    25
    Nice one lenston cracking snaps

    Are we sporting the tokina in this report?
     
  4. Lenston

    Lenston Bajo Tierra
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2013
    Messages:
    1,486
    Likes Received:
    733
    Yes mate, first outting actually :)
     
  5. georgie

    georgie He Never Even Got There
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 2, 2009
    Messages:
    853
    Likes Received:
    25
    Nice one should have mine soon
     
  6. wellingtonian

    wellingtonian Subterráneo
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Apr 21, 2013
    Messages:
    956
    Likes Received:
    426
    Great stuff mate. Been looking at a few of these myself recently. Lovely snaps :thumb
     
  7. pigdog

    pigdog 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 12, 2007
    Messages:
    408
    Likes Received:
    48
    nice
     
  8. gas man

    gas man 28DL Full Member
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2011
    Messages:
    41
    Likes Received:
    3
    nice pics matey,bloody landy cost me a good day there
     
  9. The Wombat

    The Wombat Mr Wombat
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2012
    Messages:
    1,052
    Likes Received:
    386
    Looks good one, and excellent photos
    especially the reinforced section
     
  10. The Kwan

    The Kwan funksoul Brother
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2011
    Messages:
    1,669
    Likes Received:
    666
    Looks really cool this Lenston, top shots too :thumb
     
  11. 1nk4

    1nk4 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    May 25, 2014
    Messages:
    252
    Likes Received:
    17
    awesome!
     
  12. ACID- REFLUX

    ACID- REFLUX 28DL Regular User
    Regular User

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2013
    Messages:
    3,127
    Likes Received:
    1,646
    Nices ones :thumb

    Seems they all get the same Orange Clay/Mud, must be a Tunnel thing :)

    Funny that i was looking at this Tunnel today, as it comes up when you click on Crigglestone Tunnel on the Disused Tunnel Database for some reason ?

    Nice to see you can actually get access unlike Barnsdale these days, i think they must be storing Gold in there lol
     
Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in