1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks, Dunaskin Brickworks 2011

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by Oldskool, Apr 24, 2011.

  1. Oldskool

    Oldskool Guest
    Guest

    What was ment to be a fill in visit on our way to inverkip(epic fail) ..

    This was really good site with lots to see, a little history and the pics...

    Visited with Host ...

    [​IMG]


    Dalmellington, Waterside Ironworks, Dunaskin Brickworks

    Fine example of an early Victorian stone-built engine house, with date-stone - 1847.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Dunaskin Brickworks, Waterside. In operation c. 1847-1976; complete but out of use. 1 transverse arch kiln (with 14 chambers) and 1 Belgian kiln (with 24 chambers); both continuous.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Archaeological excavation of a small area of the engine house undercroft (formerly part of the Dalmellington ironworks complex) was undertaken in August and September 1997 as an initial step towards development of the building as part of the visitor attraction at Dunaskin Heritage Centre.
    Partial excavation through three access holes in the cement floor of the interior, and investigation of two other holes, revealed that the original floor level directly beneath the cement consisted of removable cast-iron cover plates spanning a network of cast-iron girders set into each other and into masonry blocks. Under this was an undercroft designed to accommodate the expanse of the two beam engines which provided the air blast to the ironworks' furnaces.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    The depth of the undercroft was at least 2.3m below the present cement floor level, and it had been infilled (after the building was no longer used in its original function) with an ashy material and a great deal of common bricks, this fill being divided by mortared brick walls, loosely stacked bricks and areas of poured concrete. Evidence for the layout of one of the beam engines was ascertained by the discovery of its flywheel pit, its possible (air) blast main pipe, and also what may be a piston guide incorporated in the structure of one of the girders of the original floor.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]


    Thanks for looking Oldskool.......

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    We will be back.........​
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in