1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Elm Park Quarry, Corsham June 2010

Discussion in 'Mines and Quarries' started by vwdirtboy, Jun 2, 2010.

  1. vwdirtboy

    vwdirtboy Keeuunnntt!
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2010
    Messages:
    130
    Likes Received:
    14
    Deflowered this glorious evening by Toad & Myself.

    Good old sneak into a live quarry.. just when you think they're all locked up too! Stinking of Diesel down there, but loads of plant and cutting equipment everywhere. Being extended in all directions with lots of stone being quarried. All in all a good nights mooch was had :D

    A brief chronological breakdown of Elm Park.

    1900 Elm Park was owned by the Thomas family.
    1912 The start of quarrying, the first stones being used to build Gastard church.
    1925 Quarry stops due to the hardness of the stone, manual method proves hard going. Horses and carts were used. The hard stone was used for kerbstones.
    WW2 Quarry taken over by No. 40 group, controlled by RAF Quedgely in Gloucestershire. The RAF used it to store lubricating oils and similar in drums.
    1st March 1941 Elm Park transferred to No.42 Group as a satellite to Ridge Quarry. Now under the control of Flying Officer G.N.R Saltmarsh.
    22nd March Takes on 18 1000lb bombs, taken from RAF Harpur Hill as part of a successful experiment.
    5th April A heading, innermost end, was let to University of Bristol for archive storage. (this ended towards the end of the war)
    Jan 1943 Stocks totalled 111 tons of ammunition.
    June 1943 A rush output of stocked pre-empted closure as a magazine.
    30th July 1943 Stocks left moved to Ridge Quarry
    Oct 1943 Quarry transferred to the Admiralty.
    1998 Pictors Bath Stone secured a new lease including modern planning permission to establish access to the quarry entrance. They spent a lot of money widening the haulage way from the surface to the working levels about 80 meters.
    1999 Pictors lost right to Quarry due to planning engineering and lease issues.
    August 2000 Elm Park Stone Ltd gaining a new lease to extract stone.
    November 2000 Elm Stone blocks are being sold.
    2000- present Quarrying continues.



    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]




    [​IMG]
    And after a hard nights explore!​
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in