1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Foel Grochan Wales nov 2012

Discussion in 'Mines and Quarries' started by The Kwan, Nov 25, 2012.

  1. The Kwan

    The Kwan funksoul Brother
    Regular User

    Mar 28, 2011
    Likes Received:
    visited with Walsh who is now known as Landsker...on a side note, never have I seen such sheer drops in a mine or such high vertical shafts.

    History lifted strait from Walsh's report :)

    Aberllefenni Slate Quarry is the collective name of three slate quarries, Foel Grochan (sometimes misspelt as Foel Crochan), Hen Chwarel and Ceunant Ddu, located in Aberllefenni, Gwynedd, North Wales. It was the longest continually operated slate mine in the world until its closure in 2003. Foel Grochan is the quarry on the eastern side of the valley, facing Ceunant Ddu and Hen Gloddfa on the west; all three were worked as a single concern throughout their history. Technically all three of these are mines, not quarries, since all rock extraction takes place underground, though they are often referred to as quarries.

    Aberllefenni Slate Quarry may have started operating as a slate mine as early as the 14th century. The earliest confirmed date of operating is 1500 when the local house Plas Aberllefenni was roofed in slates from the mine. In the seventeenth century the Lloyd family owned the quarry, and passed to the Campbell family in 1725. In 1806 John Davies gained control which passed to the executor of his estate Pryce Jones in 1824. In 1859 the quarry was sold to Colonel Robert Davies Jones, trading under the name Aberllefenni Slate Quarries.
    By 1879 the quarry employed 169 men and produced nearly 4700 tons of finished slate and slab. The number of employees peaked in 1890 at 190.Production fluctuated by was trending downwards during the 1890s and 1900s. In 1908 the number of employees fell below 100. The First World War saw a downturn in production at Aberllefenni as in the whole industry. After the war there was a short boom into the early 1920s, but then prices of slate began to fall.
    By the early 1930s the industry was in a deep depression, with a 3 day week being worked for part of 1933. In 1935 the quarry was leased by Sir Henry Haydn Jones, owner of the Bryn Eglwys quarry near Abergynolwyn. The Second World War brought further drops in production, with the number of men employed falling from 120 in 1939 to 40 in 1944.
    After the war, the industry continued a slow decline, with industrial action closing the quarry for part of 1947. During the 1950s only about 40 men were working, all in Foel Grochan quarry. In 1956, brothers Gwilym and Dewi Lloyd took over the quarry under the name Wincilate Ltd. Rapid modernization and mechanisation of the quarry allowed it to continue to produce slate into the 1990s. Aberllefenni was the last working slate mine south of Blaenau Ffestiniog.
    However by 2002 it was no longer economical to extract slate at Aberllefenni and the mine closed. The slate mill continues to operate to this day, processing slate imported from Blaenau Ffestiniog and Penrhyn. Small pieces of Aberllefenni slate are still available for name plates.

    Slate extracted from the narrow vein at Aberllefenni is deep blue and extremely hard and dense. It resists fine splitting, so most of the mines' product was large cut slabs rather than split roofing slates. Foel Grochan mine consists of eight near-horizontal tunnels at approximately 60 feet (18.3 m) vertical separation. These were bored into the valley side just to the north of the near-vertical narrow vein. Each tunnel connected to a large chamber from which the rock was extracted. These chambers ranged from 100 to 187 feet (30.5 to 57.0 m) to in length with 24 to 30 feet (7.3 to 9.1 m) of rock left between the bottom of one chamber and the top of the next lower chamber. As more slate was extracted, several of the upper chambers were joined vertically to form an extremely large cavern known as Twll Golau which is open at the top.

    outside the mine we found police tape and it turns out that this area had been searched by the police who were looking for the body of the poor wee girl April Jones who was murdered a month or so ago http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...idger-charged-with-murder-of-April-Jones.html

    A short video, if you cant watch it all just check out from 2 minutes 50 secs to see just how deep these chambers are


    the crane above one of the vertical shafts, it hides certain death below


    Inside the levels were reached by way of ladders


    we see'd cranes

    and a mushroom plant


    Then we see'd a gantry over a huge flooded chamber


    not sure if this was a watermark but it looked like welly breach, the roof here was shitsville and not very safe


    A steam winch powered this bit of kit


    Explosive store


    said steam winch, this was taken off a boat to use in the mine


    we didnt need one co's we was wellard ..and we forgot to bring one:)


    some mine graff by the crane installers, the mine was closed in 2003


    me midway down a shaft that is about 130ft top to bottom, check out that lovely wall


    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in