1. Welcome to 28DaysLater.co.uk - 28DL - The UK Urban Exploring / Urban Exploration / Urbex Forums.

    Asylums and Hospitals, High Stuff, Industrial, Leisure Sites, Residential Sites, Military Sites, Mines and Quarries, ROC Posts, Theatres and Cinemas, Draining, Underground Sites, European and International Sites, Leads, Rumours and News, Kit, Clothing, Equipment, Photography and Video sections plus a lot more.

    Please feel free to browse this website as a guest. Creating an account removes some ads, allows you to post replies, start new topics and threads, and gives you access to more features including bookmarking, live chat, messaging and notification systems.

    Create an account | Login | Request new password

Report - Forest Mills, Radford Nottingham. 26th June 2009

Discussion in 'Industrial Sites' started by layz, Jul 17, 2009.

  1. layz

    layz Conquistador d'Wolverton
    28DL Full Member

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2008
    Messages:
    108
    Likes Received:
    2
    Home Page:
    Hi guys,

    I recently returned to this place having done a little more research in the local library.

    Original Usage

    The first lace factory on the site was built in the 1840s by John Lawson Thackeray (Later Mayor of Nottingham 1854-66). The Thackeray’s moved down from Manchester in the 1780’s to establish lace production away from the riots and ‘machine breakers’.

    The products of his mill in Nottingham were considered of the finest and during the Great Exhibition of 1851 his lace thread was awarded a gold medal and subsequently earned a worldwide reputation for excellence.

    The Mill was continually expanded over the mid 19th century and early 20th century as can be seen from the site today. The site appears to be a rather haphazard collection of buildings of different styles and ages.
    During the 20th century failure to update methods and machinery and the lessening in demand for lace thread saw the end of John Lawson Thackeray & Sons in 1950


    Later Usage

    Like most Victorian mills, Forest mill was broken up in to smaller factory outlets during the 50s-80s with the majority of activity on site ceasing in 1981.
    The office block building attached was used as drop in centre for ‘ladies of the night’ until 2005.


    Today

    The two main buildings (dating from the 19th Century) had their pitched roofs removed a few years ago due to fire damage and overall structural instability. These buildings can be distinguished inside by the use of two different styles of column and outside by the different styles of lintel.

    The overall site:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Live fire riser:
    [​IMG]

    Overlooking the two main mill buildings, note the different lintel styles:
    [​IMG]

    Anyone know what this is?:
    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    Earlier column style, possibly cast-iron:
    [​IMG]

    Later column style:
    [​IMG]

    The late C19th extension:
    [​IMG]

    Nice:
    [​IMG]

    Spread-pigeon:
    [​IMG]
     

    Remove this ad by donating or subscribing.

Draft saved Draft deleted
Loading...

Users Who Have Read This Thread (Total: 0)

Share This Page

Remove this ad by creating an account and logging in