Tipped off by the mighty Bugsuperstar and Paul Urbex Bales , took a quick halfhour with Tcake on returning from St Peters.
No real history im afraid suspect it was linked to the old Capper Pass smelting works as it stood on their old grounds
1928 a new factory was opened at Melton on Humberside, close to rail links, coal, water, and old clay pits for dumping spoil. Eventually, this led to the Bristol works closing in 1963. The plant on Humberside operated from 1937 until 1991. From 1967 until 1995 the works (and subsequently the decommissioned works) were owned by Rio Tinto.The works concentrated a variety of tin ores to produce high purity tin as their main product, with silver, cadmium, lead copper and antimony as secondary products.
The works gained notoriety because they were linked in the 1980s with an apparent cluster of cancer cases in former workers and in children living nearby, possibly to do with the emission of polonium-210 and other heavy metals from the factory. It was discovered in 1984 that this isotope was being emitted and a government licence to do so was issued though this did not become public knowledge for over 2 years. However, a detailed study led by Sir Richard Doll found only an elevated risk of lung cancer compensation was eventually paid for this, but not for any other illnesses.