Thread: Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside (20/06/07)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 1/0
    Given: 0/0

Arrow Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside (20/06/07)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Leslie's yard was once a major employer in Hebburn. It closed in the early 80s but parts of the yard were used briefly in the 90s by Swan Hunters (who are a larger shipyard on the opposite bank of the Tyne) .

Leslies was also the home of HMS Cavalier a WWII cruiser for many years. There were even plans to open the yard as a shipbuilding museum with Cavalier (which is similar to vessels that were built at the yard) as the center piece. Nothing even came of the plans and HMS Cavalier left in the late 90s.

The yard now consists of the old office admin block, a few construction sheds and up until a couple of weeks ago a nice building that looked a bit like a church with a clock tower - which was a design office I think. With housing development plans rumoured on the web I thought it was time to take some pictures.

The explore concentrates on the office admin block and construction sheds, which are the main structures remaining.

The approach.

One of the old moorings

The clock tower circa two weeks ago

Exploration of the tower had to be aborted today for obvious reasons, bugger. Note the crane in the background is on the opposite side of the Tyne at Swanhunters.

Into the sheds.

Tools and component shelves

And climbing up into the Admin Offices.

Funny the things that survive, the place has clearly been chav'ed up but this excercise machine looked in good nick

Note the drawing bench in the background here. There were also big drawers that would of contained designs and plans in this room.

It was amazing how much paper work and books were lieing round the place. The business has clearly gone bust and everything has been left. The building has been quite securely sealed at closure but its been broken into and recked since.

Found the main front door and reception, this is where you'd call in and order a big ship I presume.

Calendar from 2003 which was a surprise as the web suggests the yard wasn't used since the 90s.

I couldn't find the visitors book so sorry no...

If anyone has anymore info on the yard and some old photos I'd be grateful to hear as there's not all that much on the web about it, even the wikipedia page doesn't say much.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Re: Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside - REPORT - (20/06/07)

Here's a pic of the clock tower from 1986, note the buildings to the right of the picture are all gone now.

Thumbs Up/Down

Default Re: Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside - REPORT - (20/06/07)

Just found an old photo on the web which makes a nice before and after pair with a pic I took on Wednesday.

Circa 1950s

Circa 2007

Thumbs Up/Down

Had a wander past this site again today and the clocktower is just a pile of bricks, you'd never know it had been there, what a shame.

Found some old pics of it. Still now the demo men have gone, I should be able to get a better look round the site and reach the areas I didn't get to last time.

The sheds behind here are still used by the neighbouring A+P yard which does refits.

Inside the clock tower in 1952

The top floor

cleckie Guest

Wink Re: Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside - REPORT - (20/06/07)

Just found the pictures taken about 83/84 when the Atlantic Conveyor ws using the dry dock. In the first photos the bridge of the Atlantic Conveyor can be seen.

The follwing photos are a workshop which was left virtually full of tools

Hope you enjoy

**Mudlark** Guest

I hate to be the one to add this to this thread..... but swung by today after a tip off regarding saturday's fire and was confronted with this......

reception would have been here, with the revolving door. Now, there is nothing left.
    A real bit of North East history gone up in smoke.
    :

Thats why i do this, to document things like this before we lose them. Big up to xm657 for finding this site in the first place. Its awful it has ended this way though.
    Last edited by **Mudlark**; February 2nd, 2009 at 20:39.