real time web analytics
Report - - Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside (20/06/07) | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside (20/06/07)

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Leslie's yard was once a major employer in Hebburn. It closed in the early 80s but parts of the yard were used briefly in the 90s by Swan Hunters (who are a larger shipyard on the opposite bank of the Tyne) .

Leslies was also the home of HMS Cavalier a WW2 cruiser for many years. There were even plans to open the yard as a shipbuilding museum with Cavalier (which is similar to vessels that were built at the yard) as the center piece. Nothing even came of the plans and HMS Cavalier left in the late 90s.

The yard now consists of the old office admin block, a few construction sheds and up until a couple of weeks ago a nice building that looked a bit like a church with a clock tower - which was a design office I think. With housing development plans rumoured on the web I thought it was time to take some pictures.

The explore concentrates on the office admin block and construction sheds, which are the main structures remaining.

The approach.
1.jpg

One of the old moorings
IMG_0370.jpg

The clock tower circa two weeks ago
01clocktower190607.jpg

Exploration of the tower had to be aborted today for obvious reasons, bugger. Note the crane in the background is on the opposite side of the Tyne at Swanhunters.
640.jpg

Into the sheds.
IMG_0331.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

Tools and component shelves
IMG_0365.jpg

And climbing up into the Admin Offices.
IMG_0340.jpg

IMG_0359.jpg

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

Funny the things that survive, the place has clearly been chav'ed up but this excercise machine looked in good nick
IMG_0350.jpg

Note the drawing bench in the background here. There were also big drawers that would of contained designs and plans in this room.
IMG_0351.jpg

IMG_0341.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

It was amazing how much paper work and books were lieing round the place. The business has clearly gone bust and everything has been left. The building has been quite securely sealed at closure but its been broken into and recked since.

IMG_0362.jpg

Found the main front door and reception, this is where you'd call in and order a big ship I presume.

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

Calendar from 2003 which was a surprise as the web suggests the yard wasn't used since the 90s.
IMG_0352.jpg

I couldn't find the visitors book so sorry no...
IMG_0356.jpg

If anyone has anymore info on the yard and some old photos I'd be grateful to hear as there's not all that much on the web about it, even the wikipedia page doesn't say much.

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Re: Hawthorne & Leslie, Ship Builders, South Tyneside - REPORT - (20/06/07)

Here's a pic of the clock tower from 1986, note the buildings to the right of the picture are all gone now.

ClockTower1986.jpg

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Just found an old photo on the web which makes a nice before and after pair with a pic I took on Wednesday.

Circa 1950s
Before1.jpg

Circa 2007
After1.jpg

xm657

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

640.jpg

Had a wander past this site again today and the clocktower is just a pile of bricks, you'd never know it had been there, what a shame.

Found some old pics of it. Still now the demo men have gone, I should be able to get a better look round the site and reach the areas I didn't get to last time.

The sheds behind here are still used by the neighbouring A+P yard which does refits.
clock1.jpg

Inside the clock tower in 1952
clock2.jpg

The top floor
clock3.jpg

C

cleckie

Just found the pictures taken about 83/84 when the Atlantic Conveyor ws using the dry dock. In the first photos the bridge of the Atlantic Conveyor can be seen.
scan0014.jpg

scan0001.jpg

The follwing photos are a workshop which was left virtually full of tools:eek:
scan0019.jpg

scan0018.jpg

scan0017.jpg

scan0015.jpg

View attachment 89962
scan0013.jpg

scan0012.jpg

scan0011.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0009.jpg

scan0008.jpg

scan0006.jpg

scan0005.jpg

scan0004.jpg

scan0003.jpg

Hope you enjoy:tumbleweed

M

**Mudlark**

I hate to be the one to add this to this thread..... but swung by today after a tip off regarding saturday's fire and was confronted with this......

DSC00325.jpg

DSC00324.jpg

reception would have been here, with the revolving door. Now, there is nothing left.
A real bit of North East history gone up in smoke.
:mad:

Thats why i do this, to document things like this before we lose them. Big up to xm657 for finding this site in the first place. Its awful it has ended this way though.

Last edited by a moderator: