real time web analytics
Report - - Scala Cinema Bradford closed 1922! | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Scala Cinema Bradford closed 1922!

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

C

Converse1

Scala Cinema Bradford.

This is an odd one really, the building is still in use downstairs as a church hall but upstairs is a really different story!

I've known about this place for a while now and have been dying to have a look. Not many people know this place was a cinema or what lies behind the closed doors, but eventually my patience payed off and one Saturday morning I got the chance and was allowed to have a good look around. As this building is still very much in use as a church hall, there was no need for comedy entrance escapades!!

Opened in 1913 and closed before the advent of sound films in 1922! After 85 years since it was last used as a cinema what lies above the false ceiling is a real time capsule. This place even has gas lights on the wall! :eek: :D

Loads of info here:

http://www.kingsdr.demon.co.uk/cinemas/scala.htm

Hope you like.....

90850026.jpg

Outside

90850036.jpg

The church hall, wonder what's above that ceiling? :cool:

78090032.jpg

Old Managers office

78090030.jpg

Corridor

78090027.jpg

Staircase

780900233copy.jpg

Auditorium wall with gas light!

78090025.jpg

View towards where the screen would have been.

78090014.jpg

Towards the projection room

78090018.jpg

As this cinema was attached to a church the priest had his own special little box!

78090006.jpg

Hooks and gas light

78090005.jpg

Back wall

78090004.jpg

Auditorium wall

78090013.jpg

Projection room no projectors unfortunately :(

78090010.jpg

projection room wall detail

78090001.jpg

The obligatory bog shot! :thumb

All pictures taken on Fuji Reala & Fuji 160 NPC colour print film:thumb

Highway_Star

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Fantastic! The Gaeity in Whitehaven looks a wee bit like that inside.

The projectors could have been all manner of things, being of the silent era. However as it's Bradford, which isn't far from Leeds, which is where Kershaws were located, I'd wager it'd have had Kalee machines of some description, something like the Model 8 on this page cinephoto.co.uk . These are silent machines, but were adapted in later year to accomodate sound, hence why they'd be removed and utilised elsewhere. Bloody dangerous things, the flicker shutter is in front of the lens and uncovered, many an operator lost flesh to those beasts.

Last edited: