real time web analytics
Report - - Shipyard, Birkenhead | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Shipyard, Birkenhead

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

snappel

BMW 4 LIFE
28DL Full Member
Visited last night with northcave. I'm sure at least a few of us can name this famous yard, but I'd rather not in this thread for the minute, just because I don't want the search engines to get it yet. It's not exactly hard to guess which one it is if you're interested.

Right now the huge yard is very much in use, with ships coming in for repair on a regular basis. We found this out soon after getting in (an exercise in itself...) as there were guys working in there in the early hours of the morning!

Had a sniff round a couple of the big dry docks, then climbed one of the monster cranes. They are simply massive. Inside the one we did we found a cab, complete with a 3-seater sofa, kitchen worktop and the control area! The crane was rusty as anything, and the ladder to the crow's nest had been removed. Still, dates on newspapers up there indicated it's still regularly used.

Back on the ground we found some tunnels along the side of the main dry dock, and spotted some other interesting features. Our visit was cut short however by a security car heading our way. Don't think we'd been seen, but we'd pushed our luck enough...

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0038.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg