real time web analytics
Report - - Mayfair/Broadway Cinema, Bungay, Suffolk Pics from 2001 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Mayfair/Broadway Cinema, Bungay, Suffolk Pics from 2001

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

C

cinema salvager

Cinema Salvagers the name and Cinema Salvagings the game:D

Thought you may be interested in another of my cinema trips, this time its the former Mayfair/Broadway cinema in the Suffolk town of Bungay.

This was a small town cinema in the 1930's streamline style. Seating was all on one level and the interior was simply decorated.

I'm not sure of the official dates of opening and closing but in its last years it was run by a dedicated enthusiast and was still a popular local cinema and also ran on bingo too. Sadly when he died the building was closed up for good and after several years of sitting empty it was demolished and replaced by housing :(

In spring 2001 I contacted the owner and arranged a visit, whilst holidaying in the area. I was also allowed to rescue an example of an old Automaticket machine that vandals had left lying on the floor, but happily undamaged. This now has pride of place amongst my collection.

Anyway here are the pic's and I hope you enjoy them.:popcorn

Another cinema monument gone. :mad:

Exterior in the streamlined style. Originally called the Mayfair, the lettering still remained behind the Broadway sign.

Broadway1Urban.jpg

Foyer entrance doors.

Broadway2Urban.jpg

The box office. The gold decorative panels were actually thin moulded plastic.

Broadway3Urban.jpg

The auditorium - looking towards the front.

Broadway4Urban.jpg

The auditorium - looking towards the rear, with projection room portholes and above, the remains of an illuminated clock.

Broadway5Urban.jpg

The proscenium and screen.

Broadway6Urban.jpg

Side exit, with bingo board above.

Broadway7Urban.jpg

Proscenium arch detailing.

Broadway8Urban.jpg

Original exit light.

Broadway9Urban.jpg

Seating in the cinema comprised of several different styles, some more knackered than others:D

Broadway10Urban.jpg

The emergency exit door from the projection room opened up into the foyer.

Broadway11Urban.jpg

The Cinemeccanica projectors from Milan.

Broadway12Urban.jpg

The rewind bench and reel storage unit.

Broadway13Urban.jpg