real time web analytics
Report - - The Tivoli Theatre, Aberdeen 23.07.08 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Tivoli Theatre, Aberdeen 23.07.08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Tivoli Theatre opened in 1872 as Her Majesty's Theatre and was built by the Aberdeen Theatre and Opera House Company Ltd, under architects James Matthews of Aberdeen and C.B. Phipps, a London-based architect brought in to consult.
The auditorium was rebuilt in 1897 by theatre architect Frank Matcham, but then closed temporarily in 1906, following the opening of the larger His Majesty's Theatre. The smaller theatre was extensively reconstructed in 1909, again by Frank Matcham, and re-opened in July 1910 as the Tivoli. The Tivoli was refurbished again in 1938.

The theatre became a bingo hall in 1966. In the mid 1980s plans were made to improve the bingo-oriented facilities and the building, but little was actually done. The building finally closed for bingo in 1998 and has remained disused since.

6e50e3d404.jpg

arches_set.jpg

I have always been fascinated by the building, passing it on the bus every day to school back in the day, the exterior shot out at me. I figured the only way to gain access was to ask permission...
And that's what I did....

So yesterday Alir_147 and I met the key holder at the stage door, he locked us in for a few hours and we were given free will of the building.
We didnt know where to start.....

IMG_5612.jpg

Straight up to behind the scenes.
The Fly floor remains intact above the false ceiling built on the stage when the Tivoli was used as a Bingo Hall.
The split grid and fly floors have not been adapted since a refit in c1938. The wooden cleats are still in situ and traces still remain of the grid pulleys and hemp ropes.
The lighting battens still hang in their original positions connected to the Rank Strand Grand Master. The safety curtain is welded in the raised position.

tiv1.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5623.jpg

Our friend Minimax :D

IMG_5637.jpg

Down some stairs and we come to a little bar area

IMG_5666.jpg

"If you've no gold, you'll NUGGET drunk"

IMG_5661.jpg

On to the Lime Box ...
Carbon Arc Lime:
There are three carbon arc limes in the lime box. Boxes of carbon rods and coloured gels still remain on the floor left after the last live theatrical production. Two AC/DC rectifiers which powered the limes remain in the flooded electrics intake room in the basement.

IMG_5712.jpg

Old graffiti ... love it how these two were "pals" from the 60's.

IMG_5704.jpg

The Gods

IMG_5672.jpg

IMG_5747.jpg

The balcony seating was originally bare wooden benches.
They were later ‘padded’ for additional comfort.
The ushers used brush like poles to push customers along the benches to cram more people into the balcony

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5770.jpg

IMG_5792.jpg

The stage now, which has these awful 80's bingo tables.

IMG_5807.jpg

Next it was backstage...

The star trap!

DSC06410.jpg

I've never been backstage before, I wasn't sure what I would expect but it's really cramped.
You can imagine all the dancing girls huddled in this area!!

IMG_5860.jpg

Original dressing room from 1940

IMG_5869.jpg

Hi Hi :D

IMG_5871.jpg

Down in the bassment...

AC/DC Rectifier:
The theatre electrics intake room is in the basement of the building.
The Tivoli has two surviving AC/DC rectifiers. These were used to provide DC current for the carbon arc limes .

IMG_5843.jpg

It was flooded down here with sea water from the harbour //

IMG_5851.jpg

IMG_5852.jpg

IMG_5847.jpg

Some remnants of BINGO

IMG_5863.jpg

DSC06402.jpg

Exit

IMG_5796.jpg

The Tivoli Theatre Trust have been in protracted discussions with the owner of the building in order to purchase the theatre with the intention of restoring and reopening this historic building as Aberdeen’s mid-scale theatre venue.
And a big thank you to Keith for letting us in and photographing this awesome place =]

A

Alir147

Re: The Tivoli Theatre, Aberdeen REPORT 23.07.08

Here's my photos... Absoloutely top class place and genuinely sad to see the state some of it is in. The guys who let us see it were fantastic and had good info about the various workings which I / we would have otherwise skimmed over.

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-8.jpg

dressing rooms behind the stage. a wee time capsule.

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-7.jpg

the invasion of the bingo from 1965
SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-6.jpg

bar
SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-5.jpg

the old museum style AC/DC converter in the basements
SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-4.jpg

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJuly2.jpg

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-9.jpg

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-1.jpg

SALOBRENASPAINandTIVOLITHEATREJu-2.jpg

it would be real nice to see this place get a new lease of life, as it seems all too possible at the moment it could suffer a lot more in the future.