real time web analytics
Report - - River Sherbourne, below the streets of Coventry | UK Draining Forum | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - River Sherbourne, below the streets of Coventry

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
I was reading a 1950's book on the redevelopment of Coventry after the blitz, and read "after extensive bombing much of the old city was demolished and rebuilt. A central ringroad was constructed and the river Sherbourne culvated..."

So, asked around and found out where the river comes out, and myself and Raddog waded through the river and into the mouth of the culvet. Much bigger and longer than I ever expected. We went underground by Gulson Road, came out right in the heart of the city by Cross Cheaping, and then back under all the way to the skydome! For those that are not farmiliar with cov that is at least a half a hour walk top side!

Much to see down the tunnels. Bridges from before the culvet are still in place, they have just been concreted around. Lots of cool stalagtites, pipes and waterfalls. Other smaller tunnels run off the main one which are almost as long again!

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0032.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: River Sherbourne, below the streety of Coventry REPORT

Some more shots of the tunnels. Oh, and a bit o glowstic fun!

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0068.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0081.jpg

DSC_0084.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: River Sherbourne, below the streety of Coventry REPORT

Treasures of the Sherbourne.... Including a victorial 'codd' pop bottle (There were loads of Victorian bottles I assume have washed down out of the riverbank up stream) Power Rangers 'Megasaur' with Retro Bejam shopping trolley and the amazing collection of stolen credit cards.
This stuff is about all the rubbish that was down there. It was really clean. We saw fresh water shrimps and a gudgen on the way down too...

Treas.jpg

Treas1.jpg

Treas2.jpg

Treas3.jpg