real time web analytics
Report - - The Aberdeen Masonic Temple, 13.09.08 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Aberdeen Masonic Temple, 13.09.08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Visited with Alir147.
First of all this place isn't abandoned. I see UE as also visiting places we don't normally get to see, and this place is certainly one of them...

I had no idea what a mason was, I had heard all these stories about how it's men only club and they wear special rings and have secret handshakes and when I mentioned to my family I was going here, they looked at me weird and said nooo way will I be allowed to take photos, it's a secret cult and they don't want randoms going in and taking photos :crazy

The building was open for use in 1910 and is the meeting place for 11 of the lodges in Aberdeen. It was estimated to cost £8555 and was completed inclusive of all fees furninshings and outlays for £20,000. In 1994 a valuation for insurance purposes was estimated to be about £2,750,000.

The interior consists of the magnificant entance hallway with an 11 foot diamater circle made from black & white marble showing the 12 signs of the zodiac, a large chapter hall with a crypt below, a provincial hall, the main temple upstairs and a bassment with the boiler room.

This place is absalutley stunning and the old men were great showing us around. A few questions were asked and it's £280 to join and you get on level 1. I'm sure he said there were 33 levels and you pay to go up a lever. Alir can tell you more, my mind was too busy thinking how on earth do I get down to the crypt! We did find random things, like burned out candles in drawers and the place reeked of fish!

Anyways.. from the leaflet:

"The Aberdeen Masonic Temple is not only the pride of the masonic Fraternity in the city, but is considered to be among the finest purpose built building devoted entirely to Freemasonary within the Scottish Constitution."

A lot more photos on my flickr page, it's hard to believe such a stunning place exists in Aberdeen right in the city center. I had walked past it many times not knowing the gem inside =]

Hope you enjoy the pictures, I got the biggest headache sorting these ones out, I felt like I was in an optical illusion poster :popcorn

IMG_7629copy.jpg

The Crypt. Sadly for "insurance" it impossible to get down. I tried dangling my wee digicam down the vents but no joy.

IMG_7538copy.jpg

A flame burns in the middle of this!
You can just imagine all these men in robes chanting [they probably don't do that .. but that's what I think when I think of a mason now :p]

IMG_7516copy.jpg

IMG_7514copy.jpg

IMG_7560copy.jpg

The entrance hall

IMG_7601copy.jpg

DSC06689copy.jpg

DSC06692copy.jpg

IMG_7546copy.jpg

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

IMG_7553copy.jpg

IMG_7617copy.jpg

IMG_7592copy.jpg

The angels on the roof. Their eyes appear to be open or shut depending on what angle you look at them.

IMG_7583copy.jpg

IMG_7571copy.jpg

A

Alir147

Re: The Aberdeen Masonic Temple, Report 13.09.08

Here's some of my photos from our trip

DOORSOPENDAY2008003.jpg

DOORSOPENDAY2008016.jpg

DOORSOPENDAY2008025.jpg

vortex! :D
DOORSOPENDAY2008030.jpg

DOORSOPENDAY2008056.jpg

I thought this looked good at the time,
DOORSOPENDAY2008058.jpg

The spot where we got harrased to become members of freemasonary... it's "only" £200 to hear the first bit of the story apparantely...
DOORSOPENDAY2008063.jpg

DOORSOPENDAY2008053.jpg

DOORSOPENDAY2008012.jpg

Gorecki being sly and seeing.... "the crypt"!
DOORSOPENDAY2008013.jpg

View attachment 115131

Gorecki un-jamming the pay and display machine outside that we totally blocked up accidently with loose change! We thought the clanking sound of coins was inside - not the return bit! oops! :D

DOORSOPENDAY2008074.jpg

We laughed so much and got some very worried looks from passers by.

Good day oot. It was on to the quaker house after this........:tumbleweed

then the old aberdeen town house........:tumbleweed :tumbleweed

But then the sheriff courts which were ace! :thumb