real time web analytics
Report - - Stanton & Staveley Iron Foundry... the most epic foundry to date | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanton & Staveley Iron Foundry... the most epic foundry to date

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
There has been evidence of iron production on the site of Staveley for over 700 years, but in 1788 a small blast furnace was erected. The true origins of the Stanton Ironworks go back to 1846 when Chesterfield man, Benjamin Smith erected three blast furnaces by the banks of the canal. The company grew to a huge size, becoming the Staveley coal and iron company, employing 7000 men. The company was eventually taken over by Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd and was merged with the Staveley Iron and Chemical Company Ltd in 1960 to form Stanton and Staveley. When in 1967 Stewarts and Lloyds became part of the nationalised British Steel Corporation, its major subsidiary - Stanton and Staveley - was also incorporated.

The foundry was purchased in the early 2000's by Saint Gobain, a french company along with the nearby Clay Cross foundry. The Clay Cross works was shut instantly, with the loss of 700 jobs. Staveley lasted a while longer, but was wound down until it's final closure in 2007, ending a very long history of iron working in Staveley.

The chemical side of the company broke away in the 1960's, and wsa renamed the Devonshire works, after the Duke of Devonshire who ownes much land in the area. Some photos of Raddog and I's visit there last year can be seen here:

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=33414&highlight=staveley

The iron foundry was well under demolition by the time we arived at the side of the site by boat. We had launched our new boat "Newbourne 8" from Chesterfield and spent the day toiling with slow currents and shallow waters to reach Staveley. When we got there we were stuck with limited light and drizzle. We vowed to return.

The site is huge, and is comprised of stone, brick and tin sheds, of varoius ages. The main melting shed is enormous, and had an amazing crucible platform, guarded by ornate railings with "S & S" cast into a plate, in the style of the British Steel logo, a beautiful touch which I doubt will ever be seen again.

The pattern maker's shed was much older. A plate on the beam crane of 1880's dates it well. The walls were of stone construction, and the roof made of huge wooden beams. Patterns of pipes and valves ranging from 6 inches to 6 meters tall were scattered around the room.

The offices had been sold off a few years previous, and have now been turned into a shitty business park, the grandure literally fading before your eyes!

All in all this is one of the most epic industrial sites I have ever seen.

DSC_0163-3.jpg

DSC_0182-4.jpg

DSC_0184.jpg

DSC_0186-1.jpg

DSC_0191-1.jpg

Image1-2.jpg

Staveley100.jpg

Staveley105.jpg

Staveley177.jpg

Huge turning machine, for internal boring of castings. Myslef stood with the tool for scale.
Staveley186.jpg

Staveley194.jpg

Staveley202.jpg

Staveley210.jpg

Staveley212.jpg

Staveley216.jpg

Staveley36.jpg

Staveley54.jpg

Staveley66.jpg

Staveley76.jpg

Staveley80.jpg

Staveley92.jpg

Staveley94.jpg

Staveley95.jpg

Old shed, now demolished, with traces of the old "staveley coal and iron co" lettering along the top
DSC_0202-5.jpg

The office block, which boasts a clock and fine plasterwork, now peeling off in chunks.

Staveley11.jpg

Staveley2.jpg

Last edited:

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Re: Stanton & Staveley Iron Foundry... the most epic foundry to date REPORT

Through a very ordinary looking door lay a very very special room. The mould and pattern dept's tool and guage room was like time had stood still for 30 years. Toolmakers benches, millers and grinders, fully stocked drill cupboards and drawing cabinets, all untouched. I walked around this room for 20 mins without taking a single picture, just soaking up the feel of the room. It has to be one of the best finds in my time exploring. Coming from a toolmaking backgrond, I understand what most of the equipment was used for, and much of this is very very old and quite rare in this day and age. What also blew me away was the size of some of the kit. I have stood with a pair of mammoth calipers for some idea of scale! This gives an idea of the size of pipes and valves once made at the foundry!

Staveley110.jpg

Staveley117.jpg

Staveley119.jpg

Staveley124.jpg

Staveley128.jpg

Staveley134.jpg

Staveley141.jpg

Staveley146.jpg

Staveley156.jpg

Staveley167.jpg

So soon the place witll be flat, and like the nearby Bryan Donkin and Chesterfield Cylinder foundries, nothing will remain to show what epic sized industry once occupied the site. I hope next time you walk over a 'Stanton and Staveley' drain cover your understanding of where it came from has been increased by this post!

Last edited: