real time web analytics
Report - - Massive Power Station, Pennsylvania, USA - Nov 2008 | European and International Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Massive Power Station, Pennsylvania, USA - Nov 2008

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

A

arntzville

This place was without a doubt my favorite non-hospital location I've ever explored. I tried to narrow these photos down to 20 or less, but I couldn't quite do it. I thought some of these looked better in B&W; the light conditions were challenging in much of the place, so some of the colors just came out weird.

Now that the asbestos is out and the owners have secured a demolition permit, it's anyone's guess as to how long this treasure will still be around. Scrappers stealing copper flashing from the roof dome have done a decent job of letting in the elements and getting the process started of rendering the place too decayed to save.

1. The first place we saw was actually the roof.
01.jpg

2. Parts of it looked more like heron habitat than asphalt jungle.
02.jpg

03.jpg

4. This was the first roof I've ever seen that it was actually possible to get lost on.
04.jpg

5. Inside was a fascinating tangle of pipes, conduits, hoppers, ducts, and walkways.
05.jpg

6. The entire place had been abated of asbestos, which must have been a truly massive undertaking. The areas it was removed from are still coated in the encapsulant that the abatement crews spray to contain any remaining fibers before they clear the area.
06.jpg

7. All day we found ourselves wishing we had more of a clue as to what all of this stuff actually was.
07.jpg

8. A rack of parts.
08.jpg

9. The OSHA compliance dork part of me is pretty sure that this doesn't actually qualify as a confined space.
09.jpg

10. Eventually, we emerged into the cavernous, jawdropping expanse of the turbine hall.
10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13. The "time machine" used in 12 Monkeys, which is now near the top of my Netflix queue.
13.jpg

14.jpg

15. Every aspect and corner of this place was amazing to behold.
15.jpg

16. A dark room in the "office" area of the building.
16.jpg

17. Somewhere around here was where the old hospital section of the plant was located.
17.jpg

18. Coal conveyors atop the roof.
18.jpg

19. Looking up the conveyor chute.
19.jpg

20. One of the cranes protruding from the coal tower out over the river.
20.jpg

21. Controls for one of the cranes.
21.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: