real time web analytics
Report - - St.Claire's Convent, Aberdeen. 24/11/08 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St.Claire's Convent, Aberdeen. 24/11/08

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Gorecki

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First of all, this place has been abandoned for two years.
TWO YEARS and it's literally on my doorstep.
Why the hell did i not know about it until a few days ago!!
I guess it's just a secret lying at the top of a hill....

Some history:
The chapel, built in 1892, is one of the earliest works of Sir Ninian Comper, son of the Rev John Comper, Rector of St Johns Church in Aberdeen, who in 1863 had invited sisters from St Margarets Convent, East Grinstead, to work with him. The furnishings, fittings and windows were also designed by Sir Ninian, and executed in his workshop.
The oak panelling over the stalls was a thank offering after the Second World War.

My boyfriend and I took a look at the weekend in the snow. It was hard to believe it had been lying empty for so long. Now the snow all gone, Alir_147 and I decided to have a proper look...

This place is a complete gem, no signs of graffiti, no smashed windows [well apart from a few upstairs but looks like the result of stone throwers!], just nature taking its toll... the walls are crumbling away in the chapel and in some of the accommodation parts the roof is leaking.

On with the pictures:

conventexterior1.jpg

3052087687_ef66266b9f_o.jpg

statue1.jpg

window2.jpg

conventbalcony1.jpg

crumblywall.jpg

curtainthing.jpg

groundfloor3.jpg

organ2.jpg

organbutton.jpg

interiordoor1.jpg

groundfloor2.jpg

woodpanel.jpg

window3.jpg

statue2.jpg

bellstring.jpg

fullview.jpg

On to the accommodation...
The rooms are all stripped out, long corridors with little bedroms.

corridor.jpg

bedroom1.jpg

The water damaged room

waterdamagedroom.jpg

And a VERY modern kitchen!

kitchen.jpg

1892.jpg

With a great view of you know where =]

viewofrichards.jpg

A

Alir147

Re: St.Claire's Convent, Aberdeen. REPORT 24/11/08

And here's my wee contribution!

the approach. The house on the left is also disused. To the right is the chapel, which is hiding the main bulk of the convent buildings.
Aberdeenconvent102.jpg

Aberdeenconvent095.jpg

the chapel from the balcony
Aberdeenconvent011.jpg

dismantled organ
Aberdeenconvent014.jpg

Aberdeenconvent070.jpg

Aberdeenconvent069.jpg

an old map of Aberdeen I found, showing the Aberdeen asylum (Cornhill), now also derelict
Aberdeenconvent036.jpg

Aberdeenconvent029.jpg

a room upstairs
Aberdeenconvent053.jpg

water ingress
Aberdeenconvent023.jpg

the chimneys and tower of the abandoned richards textile mills at Broadford works - taken from the convent
Aberdeenconvent059.jpg

anonthemoose

28DL Member
28DL Member
How did you get access to the building? My friend and ?I went to take a look around to see if it could be a good location for an art project but found it near inaccessible apart from climbing over the back wall with a ladder, we didn't get that far. Can you access the Church by one of the driveways of the houses next door? We think we may have also found an old tombstone round the back behind the wall hidden under leaves. It had the name Peter Gentleman written on it, but it was so hidden it was hard to make out exactly what it was.

paulpowers

Massive Member
Regular User
How did you get access to the building? My friend and ?I went to take a look around to see if it could be a good location for an art project but found it near inaccessible apart from climbing over the back wall with a ladder, we didn't get that far. Can you access the Church by one of the driveways of the houses next door? We think we may have also found an old tombstone round the back behind the wall hidden under leaves. It had the name Peter Gentleman written on it, but it was so hidden it was hard to make out exactly what it was.

That really isn't how this works.
If access was just plastered all over a busy public forum then the place would be fucked in next to no time, people are understandably a bit funny about giving details to folk who just rock up without any prior reports asking for how to get into a site