real time web analytics
Report - - Stanton Foundry, Ilkeston | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanton Foundry, Ilkeston

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
Many of you will remember the Stanton and Staveley foundry that Raddog and I did back in September. The Stanton foundry is another works a few miles away in Ilkeston. It too is a century old iron foundry, which like Stanton and Staveley was shut after the Takeover by Saint Gobain pipelines this year.

The site is huge, with enormous scrap bunkers where the iron was brought in. It was lifted by magnet to a vibrating system which passed it through to the melting shop.
The melting shop is one of thre most impressive sheds I have seen in my time exploring, it is epic in size and height. Two of the largest gantry cranes have seen (dwarfed only by the 90 tonner at Inverkip) sit at the top of the shed. To think they are some of the largest moving machines I have ever seen, and they are hanging up in the roof of the place!

Much remains in the melting shop including control rooms, melting post and other remnants of the founding process. As with every foundry everything was covered in a huge alayer of black dust... a reminder what a hot and dusty place the works would have been to work in!

From the melting shop we followed the lime conveyer down from the crane level to the foundry's own railway sidings.

I was amazed at the size and condition of Stanton. But it is sad to see another huge century old foundry come to an end.

Stanton4.jpg

Stanton3.jpg

Stanton2.jpg

Stanton.jpg

Stanton16.jpg

Stanton17.jpg

Stanton15.jpg

Stanton14.jpg

Stanton13.jpg

Stanton12.jpg

Stanton11.jpg

Stanton10.jpg