real time web analytics
Report - - Pyrex glass factory Sunderland march 09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pyrex glass factory Sunderland march 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

dave

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
First i must say a huge thankyou to Northern Exposure for inviting me to this epic site and also acting as a first class guide around the more or less remaing building left on site as the demo men are rapidly moving in. I was amazed how big this building is and really needed a lot longer in there to appreciate just whats there. I wont bore you with any history as i'm sure Northern has done this already on his original thread, so here's some pics from my perspective on the day.

pyrexsunderland1309081.jpg

pyrexsunderland1309010.jpg

pyrexsunderland1309015.jpg

The view from the roof of the Queen Alexandra Bridge

pyrexsunderland1309019.jpg

An office with some interesting paperwork left

pyrexsunderland1309022.jpg

as you can see demolition is very much underway.

pyrexsunderland1309029.jpg

pyrexsunderland1309039.jpg

A girder fabricated by the great Dorman Long co of Middlesbrough i reckon this dates from the late 60s early 70s.

pyrexsunderland1309053.jpg

One of the many maps plans etc left in the plans room and what a place that was we spent a long time in there sifting through the various drawings etc.

pyrexsunderland1309058.jpg

the control room

pyrexsunderland1309064.jpg

The workshops and left over paperwork another fascinating part of this place i could have spent hours in here alone.

pyrexsunderland1309066.jpg

A canny looking vice in the workshops

pyrexsunderland1309071.jpg

final pic of the many storerooms on a lower level stuffed with equipment stores motors electrical items etc etc etc. What a great time i had in this epic place and once again many thanks Northern for the guided tour and interesting commentries on route i would love to go back but it depends how quick the demo proceeds as Northern said it looks as though its going to be a lot sooner than later.