real time web analytics
Report - - Howdens Engineering Works, Glasgow - February 2009 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Howdens Engineering Works, Glasgow - February 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin
Visited with Raddog and Dweeb.

A couple of external shots of the front of the works...

IMG_6088.jpg

IMG_6090.jpg

There's two trips documented here, the first one at night. We passed this place and thought 'hey, why not?'. Got in easily but really noisy. Stealth was not an option. Well, it was, but we didn't find another way in until the next day.

First we went to the offices up front. Pure gold. Me and Raddog were mooching in one building, when we got a call from Dweeb, looking in a place we peered in but dismissed as being a total wreck. Reams of old paperwork and plans...

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

IMG_6061.jpg

IMG_6062.jpg

IMG_6065.jpg

Then we had a look in one of the large sheds. The substation was great...

IMG_6076.jpg

Then I went for a look around on my own, and balls ! There was someone coming towards me with a torch. Shit. I went to warn the others and we holed up upstairs for a while until things settled down.

Next morning we went back to investigate the offices at the front. Fairly trashed and rotten but worth seeing...

IMG_6085.jpg

The view into the works from the offices...

IMG_6081.jpg

Well, Raddog split and went to the next building. A few minutes later I walked out and straight into the security guard, about 5 metres away. Luckily he had his back to me, and in that same second I disappeared and went to warn Dweeb. Too late for Raddog though he was busted and eventually hoofed out, while we watched and listened from just around the corner. We got the call from Raddog who was now out the front of the offices, saying the coast was clear, and we left the site by a different route.

Raddog the n00b !...

IMG_6086.jpg

B

bravotwozero1990

looks good
so the place is realy tight for security
might have to take a wander by this place when im next in town

Northern Exposure

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Any more info on the photographs of photographs?

IMG_6058.jpg

The rest of the images imply they manufactured fans, impellers and other ventilation equipment but that above beast is something entirely different. Yes, it's part of a cooling system but on a much bigger scale.

BenCooper

Mr Boombastic
28DL Full Member
That's a soot collector AFAIK - Howdens made lots of kit for Kincardine, Inverkip, and lots of other power stations. That substation is lovely - another visit needed I think...

Oxygen Thief

Admin
Staff member
Admin

IMG_6058.jpg

The rest of the images imply they manufactured fans, impellers and other ventilation equipment but that above beast is something entirely different. Yes, it's part of a cooling system but on a much bigger scale.

No, no more info I'm afraid, I just snapped them as we were going through them.

BusStopWilly

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

IMG_6058.jpg

Looks a bit Chernobyl-ey.

BSW

Shade

28DL Member
28DL Member
Looks like a bag house, you can see the ends of the filter bags in the opening and the hoppers underneath normally leading to screws.