real time web analytics
Report - - New Vicotoria/Odeon Clark Street, Edinburgh 17/04/09 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - New Vicotoria/Odeon Clark Street, Edinburgh 17/04/09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Capn_Polyester

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Thanks to scottish cinemas.org for the info

The New Victoria opened on 25th August 1930. It was designed for the Gaumont company by the architects WE Trent & JW Jordan, with seating for 2,058.

This B listed cinema has recently had council approval to be part demolished and to have parts of it turned into a boutique hotel. The building house some ‘best surviving example of architecture of its time’ in the UK along with a beautiful auditorium containing Scotland’s largest and grandest proscenium arch.

this is a tour from 2005, done by a much better photographer than me.

Edinburgh New Victoria / Odeon Clerk Street

and here is a link to the petition to keep it from getting demolished.

http://www.gopetition.co.uk/online/26420.html

there's also a facebook group for anyone wanting to get really motivated

anyway on to our explore...

after getting in we found the place to be in actually quite good nic. There were some signs of the imminent demolition. and what appeared to be a security office complete with comfy chair and light on but we didn't run into anyone. I'm really sorry about the quality of the photos I'm still getting used to taking pictures in pitch darkness:confused pictures don't do the place justice anyway it's a beautiful building and will be a total shame when it goes

on with the photos then

DSCF5181.jpg

Front Exterior

DSCF5122.jpg

DSCF5123.jpg

This is the void behind the screen in the main hall

DSCF5125.jpg

there were a few of these lovely spiral staircases about

DSCF5129.jpg

obligatory light switch photo :gay

DSCF5141.jpg

DSCF5151.jpg