real time web analytics
Report - - Coventry Technical College, Coventry, August 09 | Other Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Coventry Technical College, Coventry, August 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

layz

Conquistador d'Wolverton
28DL Full Member
Hey Guys,

Having moved back to Coventry temporarily, I was greeted with news that the famous Butts Technical College was now vacant, so off I went...

This site is still quite live in terms of security, alarms, electricity, gas and water therefore I’d appreciate if it’s kept in the members’ area as my face was probably caught on a million cameras!
The way in was relatively easy, and whilst inside I encountered a couple of pikeys, but I was dressed like an official I just told them to clear off!

The site is in mint condition, however many of the rooms were locked so I couldn’t get a decent shot of the art-deco stairwell. I apologize for the lack of quality of some of the photos, I don’t have any decent lighting equipment.

History

The college was opened in September 1935, with the official opening ceremony being conducted by the Duke of York on December 10th. The College focused on engineering and construction courses for young men, and secretarial and cookery studies for young women. The engineering bias is a past echo to Coventry’s former engineering significance in British Industry. To begin with over 3,000 students enrolled.

I’m unsure as to who the architect is, however the style is undoubtedly neo-classic; very popular amongst civic buildings during the inter-war years.

Today

The college closed in 2008, merged with Tile Hill College and moved to the Swanswell Learning Quarter. Part of the site which formerly housed many of the workshops has already been demolished and guess what’s been built on top... yep an apartment block!

Anyway on with the photos:

Beautiful exterior, in the neo-classic style:
Picture047-1.jpg

Another building with the Coventry coat-of-arms, twice in two days!
Picture048-3.jpg

Picture002.jpg

The main reception area:
Picture044-1.jpg

The reception in 1935:
EntrancetotheButtsNov1935.jpg

The long corridors were simply epic:
Picture008.jpg

Picture041-1.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture020-1.jpg

Picture004-1.jpg