real time web analytics
Report - - Stanton Foundry, Ilkeston, July 09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Stanton Foundry, Ilkeston, July 09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Hpipe

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Courageous and I decided to hit up Stanton for some hardcore industry recently, as it’s slowly being levelled. A nice early start on a Sunday for us, me driving and him pratting around with his new phone all the way, trying to read reports on here (and failing - N97 – save your money kids!)

The place has been well reported on here, and far better pictures were had before they started tearing it to bits, so I’m just glad we caught some of it.
DSC_0999.jpg

DSC_1001.jpg

It seems that they were demolishing the sections adjacent to or attached to the rear of the main hall (and working on a Sunday), where I think the ore came in and was molten before being poured. The floor of the hall itself is empty, so the huge ladles were gone:
DSC_1200.jpg

however, the main attraction remained:
DSC_1211-1.jpg

These things are mentally big.
DSC_1216.jpg

DSC_1219.jpg

The lifting gear itself
DSC_1191.jpg

We talked a lot about how the hell they were going to get them out of there. It’s unlikely they can be dismantled in situ, at least not in their entirety. Roof off, and crane the cranes out, or blow the corners of the building and let the things hit the floor perhaps? Ideas on a postcard……….. In the meantime, while they stay, we play……….
DSC_1205.jpg

Around the main hall, giant worms and other goodies:
DSC_1228.jpg

DSC_1177.jpg

D-day for the Hallam Plant
DSC_1171.jpg

DSC_1172.jpg

DSC_1169.jpg

In the other half of the plant is the area where cast pipe sections were subjected to all sorts of finishing processes, laid out in a production line style. Not sure what it all does, but I think it kinda goes like this:

The section is dropped by crane into the loader for this thing, which seemed to roll and heat it somehow
DSC_1022.jpg

This beast pulled it out of the other end
DSC_1034.jpg

DSC_1042.jpg

DSC_1076.jpg

onto this section:
DSC_1029.jpg

In this pic, the brown metal parts stood upright would drop down through 90 degrees to the right, the pipe section would be rolled on, and then they would lift the section vertical. The doors on the huge grey round machine would open, and the pipes would be put inside for vertical normalization. They were returned to the horizontal position by the same device, and continued down the production line. The rest of the line was concerned with coating and treating the sections to completion.

DSC_1113.jpg

DSC_1117.jpg

DSC_1135.jpg

Through this oven
DSC_1133.jpg

then quality audit ,and out the door to be picked up by the recently demo’ed gantry cranes.

I love big industry, and this place does big.

Mattdisney

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Great report. I passed the Stanton works today (09/11/09) and took the opportunity to take some external shots of the "Central Smelting Plant". Photo's were only taken on my mobile, but show the progress of demolition since this original report.

Enjoy :)

4088672355_599ff89fa7_b.jpg

4089431986_8fd9be2d94_b.jpg

4088671449_0b668b1cea_b.jpg