real time web analytics
Report - - St Lawrence's Mental Hospital, Bodmin, Cornwall. August 2009 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - St Lawrence's Mental Hospital, Bodmin, Cornwall. August 2009

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

E

elsapel

I know St Lawrence's has been done before, but it's still a fantastic building that has remained relatively unscathed by vandals, chavs, the homeless and otherwise. I'm not going to write the history of it due to it previously being done, and that's the one thing that doesn't change! There is still 24 hour security patrolling the site, but like most places they are fairly reluctant to enter the building without the Police.

The weather wasn't brilliant on my trip and i only had an ickle camera, so please excuse the quality of some of the pictures. I would love to have feedback (positive or otherwise) so i know if it's worth me doing this sort of thing again. I spent about 2 hours inside and i managed to do most of it, although the sub-tunnels that run underneath are an exploration in themselves. I did find out that the tunnels are actually connected over Bodmin - They run from what used to be the Courts on Mount Folly (in the middle of town) to either Bodmin Jail where people were hanged, or back to St Lawrences where they were detained. This was to stop the residents of Bodmin from seeing 'the condemned' and to keep Bodmin free of the guilty and mad.
Believe it or not, the Hospital only had 5 'secure cells' which were never padded, they were just solid concrete rooms with a very high single window.

Foster Hall. Still untouched but has a slight leak.

DSCF0875.jpg

The ceiling in Foster Hall. Work of art!

DSCF0876.jpg

'Calming' posters in the patient's day room.

DSCF0884.jpg

Entrance Hall with enquiry office.

DSCF0886.jpg

One of the many staircases.

DSCF0892.jpg

Loveny Ward was where the proper mentals went! :banghead

DSCF0893.jpg

Dining Room, complete with 1970's paper lanterns!

DSCF0900.jpg

Lanterns

DSCF0901.jpg

Bedpan in the Shower room. Unfortunately, it is only the 'Medibath' and the bedpan that remain, the tilting bath (which i couldn't wait to find after seeing a photo of it on here) has disappeared! Gutted! :mad:

DSCF0905.jpg

What's left of the quiet room.

DSCF0907.jpg

One of the many tunnels stretching for miles underneath the town.

DSCF0919.jpg

Forgotten creature.

DSCF0950.jpg

Stairs down from the Nurse's quarters.

DSCF0962.jpg

Switches in the electric treatment room - i love the '?' one! :confused

DSCF0984.jpg

On the corridor outside the treatment room.

DSCF0953.jpg

The doors lead into Foster Hall (our starting point)

DSCF0928.jpg

That's it...look at the pretty pictures...

DSCF0929.jpg

Hmmmm...Time to go! :eek:

DSCF0912.jpg

Like i said at the top, please leave a few comments so i know it's been worthwhile...i'd love to know what people think. :eek: