real time web analytics
Report - - Ravenhead Glass, St Helens, Oct '09 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Ravenhead Glass, St Helens, Oct '09

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

clock34

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
After Seeing a report on here last week of this place i decided to dig out the shots i took whilst here back in April. 09
All these photos are a compilation between both mine and valinov's archives of the two visits we did together here. so i apologise for the amount of images.

History.
Ravenhead Glass was a glass works near Ravenhead Colliery, St. Helens.it was founded in 1850 by Frances Dixon and John Merson,
In 1852 this factory was sold to the Pilkington Brothers.
Once every decade the company swapped hands until 2001 when following a series of downturns in the late 1980's it stopped production and went into administration.
In 2003 the Rayware Group, which bought the Ravenhead site announced that it would like to revitalise the brand, giving pint pots and other traditional glasses the Ravenhead name.

also before the pictures id just like to point out that i did not have a tripod with me and the pictures were taken by myself as well as valinov!!:thumb

upon entering this site i noticed the sheer scale of the site,
IMG_7167.jpg

Looking across the main courtyard i noticed the different buildings, storage on the right with the office blocks in the middle, what i think is the furnaces on the right but due to security on site we were not able to look at them.
so we decided to focus on the left moving across and finishing in the centre to the right of the office blocks.
IMG_7165.jpg

view from inside the first building, the place is completely empty apart from a generator and alot of power switches for most buildings in the site.
IMG_7194.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

DSC00301.jpg

view across to the rest of the site
IMG_7186.jpg

Through this building and then up onto the roof gives you some nice photo opportunities
DSC00320.jpg

DSC00431.jpg

IMG_7202.jpg

From here we made our way across the yard avoiding the security lights to enter this hollow
DSC00423.jpg

in here was the fire room with hand drawn maps and logs of all fires back from 1988!.
DSC00414.jpg

DSC00581.jpg

DSC00583.jpg

The storage warehouses were literately just massive empty warehouses and we did not have lights big enough to get a perfect picture of them. but this is what i did get.

DSC00613.jpg

DSC00618.jpg

IMG_7521.jpg

below the warehouses there is what i can only tell is a old storage cellar

IMG_7489.jpg

DSC00592.jpg

An old Loot paper, This place literally hasn't been touched in years!
DSC00589.jpg

And at the end of the room full of non-produced glasses was this small furnace, used to make them?
DSC00585.jpg

IMG_7502.jpg

what a eerie feel.
IMG_7210.jpg

Fire safety from 1974 :-) there is allot of history in this site.
DSC00315.jpg

IMG_7211.jpg

And finally a old trolley used to cart stock around. I'm glad things are electronic now a days.
DSC00425.jpg

Thank You so much for reading all this, tried keeping the pictures to the minimum left out all rubbish ones, planning a return trip to explore the other half of the site and take big lights to get the warehouses. other than that, thank you for reading.

Clock34.

Last edited: