real time web analytics
Report - - RAF West Beckham, Norfolk - 11/01/2010 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - RAF West Beckham, Norfolk - 11/01/2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

DETOX & DIZZY

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
RAF West Beckham (WW2) was located between the towns of Sheringham and Holt in Norfolk, England. The base was large and included a transmitter site, receiver site, generator site, underground rooms as well as two camps for based personnel to live in. RAF West Beckham opened in 1938 and closed in 1958.

Myself (Detox), Dizzy & Lighthouse ended up running into this place after looking for local ROC posts. Later that day we returned with are equipment for a underground explore!

Guard House to the site.
DSCF0950.jpg

Inside - Switch box
DSCF3919.jpg

Much better....
DSCF3918.jpg

No soap?
DSCF0960.jpg

DSCF3915.jpg

Inside view point
DSCF0963.jpg

Bricked up bunker. Shame!
DSCF0992.jpg

But around the corner a nice pillbox
DSCF0925.jpg

Later that day we return for the hole!
DSCF1021.jpg

Opening...
cameraload1172.jpg

Who's first?
DSCF1032.jpg

What you found guys?
cameraload1137.jpg

He's on a mission now!
DSCF1111.jpg

Nice Work Lighthouse
cameraload1131.jpg

Beyond the steps...
DSCF1123.jpg

DSCF1125.jpg

Just a few pictures of the broken hatch cover and some sort of a pulley
mechanism.
cameraload1161.jpg

cameraload1157.jpg

Today the base is in private ownership. Many buildings remain.

Peace DETOX & DIZZY

Last edited:

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Nice little find. Its an old RADAR site. The sorry looking underground bunkers are buried reserve stations. There should be another one nearby. One for Transmitter and one for Receiver.

tigger

mog
Regular User
Nice little find. Its an old RADAR site. The sorry looking underground bunkers are buried reserve stations. There should be another one nearby. One for Transmitter and one for Receiver.

The reserve site for West Beckham Chain Home was mobile not burried. Nominally located at Kelling.

Vapeexpert86

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Buried reserves,i have been in many and its pretty easy to find them using google earth near the sites,there is also another site close by

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The reserve site for West Beckham Chain Home was mobile not burried. Nominally located at Kelling.

Sorry to disagree Tigger, but that is definitely a buried reserve site. They may have had a "Mobile Reserve" as well, or maybe that was for the Receiver site, but this is definiteley a buried reserve station. I think the Transmitter and Receiver station ones were the same, but the receiver one near me is sealed so cant get in.
The big metal thing hanging from the ceiling is an extractor fan for the equipment. You can see the escape hatch behind. There is a sh*thouse just to the right of where the pic is taken and another room for the generator at the bottom of the stairs. The extractor runs into that room too. The entrance doors are on rollers and are quite big to get the equipment in and out. There is quite a nice dry example on on the embankment by Bawdsey Radar museum, but they own it and its on school land (I think) so inaccesible without permission, but some nice pics of it online.

tigger

mog
Regular User
You are probably right. I had thought that the photos were ALL from the main site (which does not have burried reserves) hence my confusion.
This 1941 photo shows both transmitter and receiver burried reserves on the left with a single 120' mast each, Adcock Array of the receive site and then curtain array of steel towers fairly close behind them

WBeckham.jpg

The_Mole

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
You are probably right. I had thought that the photos were ALL from the main site (which does not have burried reserves) hence my confusion.
This 1941 photo shows both transmitter and receiver burried reserves on the left with a single 120' mast each, Adcock Array of the receive site and then curtain array of steel towers fairly close behind them

WBeckham.jpg

Oh thats a nice pic, I dont think ive seen seen that one before. Thanks for sharing! Interesting that the reserve sites are so close together. The one near me is a bit further apart: Probably the distance from the nearest reserve to the little complex in the foreground at the front of the pic.