real time web analytics
Report - - Robinson's Shaft Headgear, South Crofty 15/02/10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Robinson's Shaft Headgear, South Crofty 15/02/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Rookinella

I should have danced all night
28DL Full Member
Visited with Rigsby and Speed.

This rather wobbly remainder of the Robinson's Shaft complex in South Crofty was the smaller of the two headgears (at least it looked it) The other one over the road looked pretty live and we didn't want to risk getting collared so we chose this one instead. A few of the buildings and the chimney that surround it are still in tact and after some searching on the net, it seems they are trying to restore and preserve it. Excellent news!

It's not the safest stuctures by far and you can see why they deemed it structurally unsound :p This unsoundness was experienced first hand!

Here's the BBC article that explains its at-risk status:

Listed sites at a former Cornish tin mine shaft have been put on English Heritage's Buildings at Risk Register.
English Heritage says the Grade II sites at the Robinson's Shaft complex, near the former South Crofty mine in Pool, are in a poor condition.

South Crofty was the last working tin mine in Europe when it closed in 1998.The Robinson's Shaft complex, which was once part of South Crofty, is the most complete surviving part of the mine. Built in the early 1900s, it is under constant threat of vandalism and has been deemed by English Heritage as remarkable for its degree of preservation.

The carpenters' shop, sawmill, workshop and forge, built between 1903 and 1910, are not secure and deteriorating timber boarding is a cause for concern. Robinson's Shaft complex is the focal point of a £30m regeneration scheme being promoted by Kerrier District Council and shortlisted for Big Lottery funding.

Here's some photos :)

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0706.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg