real time web analytics
Report - - Leybourne Grange Colony - 21/03/10 | Asylums and Hospitals | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Leybourne Grange Colony - 21/03/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

professor frink

Reppin Bumbaclaat
28DL Full Member
Brief potted history;
Manor house and grounds previously owned by the Hawley family who were Baronets and their coat of arms is still displayed on the front of the manor house.
Sold off in the 1920's and in 1936 became the Leybourne Grange Colony For Mental Defectives.
Sixty years later it closed and is now undergoing redevelopment.

1. The Hawley Manor house.
IMG_8467.jpg

2. Grand entrance.
IMG_8308.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

IMG_8392.jpg

5. View from roof of Manor House
IMG_8348.jpg

6. Rooms adjacent to clock tower
IMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8366.jpg

IMG_8454.jpg

IMG_8462.jpg

10. Clock mechanism gubbins.
IMG_8429.jpg

IMG_8447-1.jpg

12. View from clock tower
IMG_8406.jpg

IMG_8224.jpg

IMG_8231.jpg

IMG_8242.jpg

IMG_8249.jpg

IMG_8262.jpg

IMG_8280.jpg

19. Obligatory long corridor shot.
IMG_8268.jpg

IMG_8289.jpg

21. The outlying wards.
IMG_8474.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_8539.jpg

IMG_8479.jpg

IMG_8545.jpg

IMG_8500.jpg

27. Eventually found some woodwork and some cool lime green paint.
IMG_8541.jpg

28. And some signs of its previous usage.
IMG_8535.jpg

IMG_8532.jpg

IMG_8547.jpg

dicky21

28DL Full Member
Re: Leybourne Grange Colony - 21/03/10 (PIC HEAVY)

looks like you covered pretty much all of it. nice

badwabbit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Nice report - this place is the other one that's high on my list of to-do's before it goes, as I think it's in active re-developement now (ie builders are on site and many buildings have already been demolished).

It seems that time really is running out on these places.

There an interesting page on Leybourne Grange elsewhere on the internets where loads of former patients and staff have left comments about their time in this place. It seems it wasn't a happy place, much of the time.

Great pics! :tu:

Swiper the fox

28DL Member
28DL Member

Like the lime green stair picture.

Do you know how much of the hospital is left?

BillAnd

Badass dare devil gangsta
28DL Full Member

fantastic work , great report

Alicia

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

The actual hospital buildings have been demolished and what remains is the Mansion, Nurses Block and various villas so still lots to see.

This is the website that badwabbit was referring to, it's really interesting reading what former staff have to say:
http://www.derelicte.co.uk/leybourne-grange-hospital

A friend of my my stepmum asked me the other day if I'd been to Leybourne Grange as I was telling her about some places I've been. She then told me that her mum used to work there as a nurse administering such things as Electroconvulsive Therapy... Pleasant.

Swiper the fox

28DL Member
28DL Member

The actual hospital buildings have been demolished and what remains is the Mansion, Nurses Block and various villas so still lots to see.

This is the website that badwabbit was referring to, it's really interesting reading what former staff have to say:
http://www.derelicte.co.uk/leybourne-grange-hospital

A friend of my my stepmum asked me the other day if I'd been to Leybourne Grange as I was telling her about some places I've been. She then told me that her mum used to work there as a nurse administering such things as Electroconvulsive Therapy... Pleasant.

Cheers for info. visited yesterday this place rocks. :thumb

Saw pretty much everything and wore myself out.

did take some shots but the Profs are hard to beat.

badwabbit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Excellent - I was hoping on going tomorrow but it's heavy rain all day - it's not that I care about getting wet, it's that the light isn't nearly as cool for photographic opportunities - honest! :)

I'm not quite sure of my plan of approach yet - it seems that many people just walk in through the main gates without hassle, but I'm probably going to go for a different plan of first attack. I prefer the "sneaky" over the "bold" most of the time... :D

Alicia

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

My friend drove in the main gates a few days ago past a security car which was leaving and just waved at them and they did nothing. You needn't be so bold if that isn't an option though as the 'sneaky' way isn't difficult or long at all... Just look out for security riding around on bikes when you're in!

Appo

MCR
28DL Full Member

Excellent work... Loving the Green stair shot :thumb

badwabbit

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Well - I seem to be starting a trend for me - doing a new place on every major holiday - last one was my birthday, today was Easter so... I first went looking for some old military bunkers I remembered from ten years ago, but alas they seem to have gone. So instead, I did Leybourne Grange, and what an amazing place it is!

Report later, but just wanted to post and say what an enjoyable 'splore it was - and nary a soul to be seen apart from bunnels, squizzells, and pheasells. I was amazed there is so much still there - it's like walking around a ghost town... ( ! )

Alicia

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member

Glad you enjoyed it badwabbit and didn't encounter any security! It is just like a ghost town, I got so creeped out the first time I went...