real time web analytics
Report - - Pudsey Greenside Tunnel, Leeds, 30-3-10 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Pudsey Greenside Tunnel, Leeds, 30-3-10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

cardiffrail

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
The Pudsey Greenside Tunnel was opened in 1892 completing the Pudsey Loop to the west of Pudsey Town. The Tunnel is 616 yards long. The eastern end opens into a sheer sided cutting, containing a lot of flytipped waste. It is proposed that this eastern approach cutting will be backfilled with landfill, however this has not happened yet. The western approach cutting is short, and rather wet. To the west the line continues on the Smalewell embankment, thought to be the highest in Europe (?) at 100 feet high.

The western cutting is rather muddy and somewhat overgrown with trees. I managed to trip up over a fallen branch and fall face down in the mud, skinning my shins on bricks lurking in the mud. this resulted in having to get back into the village, where I parked, completely plastered in black smelly mud followed by a 2 1/2 hour drive, still plastered in mud rendering the works van in need of a good clean.

The line was closed in 1964. The tunel itself is slightly S-shaped, and it is not possible to see through it, however at leas one portal is visible at all times from within the tunnel. It is lined with stone walls and a brick arch, with impressive stone portals and rims to the base of the airshafts.

Dscf2528.jpg

Dscf2531.jpg

Dscf2535.jpg

P3300062.jpg

Dscf2534.jpg

Dscf2543.jpg

Dscf2550.jpg

P3300072.jpg

P3300074.jpg