real time web analytics
Report - - Cathedral Arches Manchester 23/04/10 | Underground Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Cathedral Arches Manchester 23/04/10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

host

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Cathedral Arches or Victorian Arches as they were known has been well over due for me, but as anyone who has been in will say well worth it and the effort, it's hard to believe what is right under your feet when standing outside the Cathedral stranger still when inside hearing all the people above 20 feet above your head, these Arches hold a lot of interesting feature's and make a great little shooting exercise it's hard to get a scale of the size of the Arches from the photo's but some are impressively large, visited with oldskool who i must thank big time on this..
HISTORY..(in brief)
In 1838 the city completed construction of the new embankment along the river irwell, the Arches were built at the same time for Industrial space, In the Victorian era passenger's would take trips along the river evan though it was becoming very polluted being described as almost proverbial for the foulness of it's waters.Regular flooding resulted in the closure of the steam packet service sometime in the early 20th century.Later in it's life during WW2 the surrounding the Arches were converted into air raid shelters with the ability to hold up to 1600 people this is where most of the what is left can be seen, it's such a shame this is not open to the public there is a great deal of history right under our street's.
a-19.jpg

b-19.jpg
c-18.jpg

d-19.jpg

e-19.jpg

f-18.jpg

g-18.jpg

h-19.jpg
i-19.jpg

j-18.jpg

k-19.jpg

l-16.jpg