real time web analytics
Report - - Bromborough Central Power Station, June '10 | Industrial Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Bromborough Central Power Station, June '10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Xan_Asmodi

Cave Monster
28DL Full Member
This history is taken from mnb1981's report, I don't think I could beat it, so thanks!

In 1918 Lever Brothers built a power station on the banks of the Mersey on what was to become Commercial Road.

The station was called Central Power Station and had three coal fired boilers and a 5 Megawatt generating set manufactured by Siemen’s Brothers. The boilers had ‘chain grates’, these were like slow moving conveyor belts which passed through the furnaces, coal was loaded on one end from a hopper, it moved into the furnace and as the coal burned, the ash was collected in hoppers under the boilers.

Many of the works supplied with electricity also used steam and there were more than 10 low pressure steam generating plants operating in the area. A new type of generating set was now available, this was known as a ‘Back Pressure Generator’, it took steam at high pressure, used it to turn the turbine then output the steam for re-use at a lower pressure.

A pilot scheme was installed in the hardening plant of the old margarine works, opposite Central Power Station, this consisted of a small 1.3 Megawatt back pressure generating set manufactured by British Thomson Houston. This took steam at 230 p.s.i. from the power station boilers and output steam at 50 p.s.i.

The pilot scheme was a success, and it was decided to build a new power station on what is now Thermal Road.

I used hang around this area when I was a teenager, I saw some of my friends graffiti on the pipes close to the place. After getting frustrated by access - seems to be a running theme with me! - and making sure none of the people work on the nearby sites spotted me, I made my way in and started shooting.

This was the first place I spotted, a bit tight getting in, but I had to look!

[1]
Brom019.jpg

[2]
Brom022.jpg

I had to go down...

[3]
Brom023.jpg

[4]
Brom024.jpg

I found a friend!

[5]
Brom026.jpg

This place has been stripped by metal theives... more later

[6]
Brom027.jpg

Back out and I was looking around

[7]
Brom002.jpg

[8]
Brom003.jpg

[9]
Brom004a.jpg

I wanted so much to climb this, but with the people working a few metres away, I didn't risk it.

[10]
Brom010.jpg

[11]
Brom006.jpg

I wonder what was stored in this tank...

[12]
Brom007.jpg

Time for the main place

[13]
Brom031.jpg

[14]
Brom033.jpg

This place had been devastated by the locals

[15]
Brom034.jpg

[16]
Brom035.jpg

[17]
Brom036.jpg

[18]
Brom042.jpg

Some kind of system diagram... trashed

[19]
Brom013.gif

[20]
Brom044.jpg

[21]
Brom045.jpg

Where the magic happens

[22]
Brom047.jpg

[23]
Brom051.jpg

As I was about to exit, I checked the coast was clear, but there was a man in a high vis jacket talking to some people on the other side of the fence. I had to wait for a few minutes, but I made it down.

[24]
Brom055.jpg

[25]
Brom056.jpg

[26]
Brom057.jpg

Must have been some fire

[27]
Brom059.jpg

[28]
Brom061.jpg

[29] View attachment 227922

I couldn't get in to this place but managed to get a few pics

[30]
Brom063.jpg

On the way out I met the people who where chatting with Mr. High Vis. They where a couple of girls from my old school out for a walk with their kids, with prams! I had to direct them back to the road and help them carry the prams at one point

Thanks for looking!