real time web analytics
Report - - Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Bks/Haig Lines), Fleet, Hants, 20/06/2010 - PART 1 | Military Sites | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Bks/Haig Lines), Fleet, Hants, 20/06/2010 - PART 1

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

SgtSam

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Queen Elizabeth Barracks (Boyce Barracks/Haig Lines), Fleet, Hampshire 20/06/2010.

I found out about this site on a ‘Lead & Rumour’. I’ve lived in this area for 10 years and never knew about this place!!!

I did a recce and found out, as with most ex-military camps awaiting flattening, it was regularly used by the Surrey and Hampshire Police, for training and dog handling... Ok, I better go through the right channels...

A few emails and phone calls later, I got given open access to the camp, in exchange for a copy of all the photos.... Happy with that!

I ended up doing a 2 day explore, day one with a friend and day 2 with my wife. It’s a big site and took over 400 photos. Because of that I’m going to post 5 reports on it covering the following:

Part 1-Barrack Buildings and Around Camp
Part 2-Messes and Clubs
Part 3-Training Wing and Cinemas
Part 4-Accommodation
Part 5-MT Park

That is now 2 reports... I'll be doing Parts 2-5 all on Part 2 heading... (See below) Thanks

Don’t worry, i’m not posting all 400+ photo’s, I’ve cut it right down, but there is still a few.

Camp History

QEBarracksAerial.jpg

Originally started (not built) in 1914 as an HQ for troops billeted around Church Crookham and Fleet, called Haig Lines. Extended/Built in 1938 for the Royal Army Medical Corps as their training depot and renamed Boyce Barracks, after Maj William Wallace Boyce D.S.O. RAMC.

Made up of pre-war, single story, prefabricated wooden buildings, in the ‘Spider’ layout, designed to accommodate 2500 men in peace time. The site also included a number of training facilities, 2x 25m Ranges, cinema, administration and stores buildings, as well as 2 gymnasiums and a large parade square.

The camp was renamed again Queen Elizabeth Barracks after a visit from Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth (the wife of King George VI and late mother of our present Queen Elizabeth II) in 1948.

QueenMumBoyceBks.jpg

The Queen Mother (Colonel-in-Chief RAMC) with the Sgt's & Warrant Officers outside the Sgts Mess.

The RAMC moved out in 1962 and the camp was used for training a few weeks a year.
The camp was then taken over by The Royal Corps Of Transport from 1965-1970
Then Finally used by various Gurkha Regiments (Including Gurkha Rifles) from 1970-2000.
The land was sold to Bryant Homes in 2002 who want to redevelop the site for housing, shops and schools.

I would like to thank Mrs. Nicky Parsons for getting me access to the camp and I would also like to dedicate the report to all members or the RAMC as it was their original camp and with it being RAMC Corps Day on 23 June, I think it’s quite fitting!
new-ramc.jpg

On with the Pics....

Camp10.jpg

Camp29.jpg

Camp39.jpg

Camp37.jpg

I love the wood burners!

Camp36.jpg

Camp32.jpg

Camp30.jpg

Boyce_Barracks_-1.jpg

Camp31.jpg

Sun Bathing on the Parade Square!... Don't let the Sergeant Major See!

Camp28.jpg

Camp27.jpg

Camp26.jpg

Camp23.jpg

Camp21.jpg

Camp20.jpg

Camp19.jpg

Camp18.jpg

Camp14.jpg

Camp13.jpg

Camp12.jpg

Camp6.jpg