real time web analytics
Report - - The Paramount (Odeon) Newcastle, May 2010 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - The Paramount (Odeon) Newcastle, May 2010

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Shades

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Firstly, this isn't my report, worse luck. They were taken by John Matthews, of the Northumberland and Newcastle Society, the details of access which was posted in another thread recently. After a bit of arm twisting though, he reluctantly agreed to let me use them and naturally 28DL gets the exclusive first look.

He apologises for the poor quality of the photos which were taken on a very small digital camera under difficult conditions. No opportunity for light painting here!

Here is the first shot, taken in the main lobby looking up to the Royal Circle Lounge. Note that the balustrades have been removed, along with the decorative ceiling fittings upstairs.
Lobby.jpg

This is the Grand Staircase up to the Royal Circle Lounge. The ornate handrail has been removed along with the substantial ceiling pendant fittings.
Stairs.jpg

This is screen 2, which is the rear stalls to the left.
Screen2.jpg

The dividing wall between screen 2 and screen 3 has been removed. This is standing in screen 2 looking across to screen 3.
Screen3.jpg

A piece of projector debris in a stairwell on the way up to screen 1.
Stairwell.jpg

Up in screen 1, the circle of the original auditorium. Note the stacked chairs and the partially removed wall sconces.
Screen1e.jpg

Looking to the right hand wall. The screen can be seen, which is mounted in front of the original proscenium.
Screen1d.jpg

Looking back towards the upper Circle.
Screen1b.jpg

At front Circle, looking across to the left wall
Screen1a.jpg

Centre circle, looking towards the (damaged) screen
Screen1c.jpg

One of the ornate cast seat row ends, with integral aisle downlighter
Rowend.jpg

A view into the auditorium from one of the projection room ports.
Port2.jpg

Another port view towards the screen.
Port1.jpg

In the projector room access stairwells each side, there is a large Paramount mountain stylised metal screen. This is the view looking out.
Paramount.jpg

One of the control panels for lighting, screen masking and Tabs.
Controls.jpg

The Cinemation unit- the automated system for running the show, as well as most of the building electrics.
Cinemation.jpg

The projection room, with one of the Victoria 8 machine plinths moved out of the way, probably to ease dismantling. (The mechanism and lamphouses were taken to Doncaster Odeon backstage for storage after the Cinema closed)
Box1.jpg

After the Cinema was quadrupled, the upper circle lounge was converted into a licensed bar. This stencil is in one of the sofa niches and the decoration was carried out by the Cinema staff.
Stencil.jpg

Once again, a massive thank you to John Matthews of the Northumberland and Newcastle Society for agreeing to let these photos be shown. Many of us will be delighted to see them, and saddened by the removal of the fixtures.

Shades

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
Demolition plans have now been notified to the Council, possibly commencing November 1st and taking approximately 46 weeks.

dweeb

28DL Regular User
Regular User
It's a pity nobody ever got the time in here to explore the place properly before it was too late, I bet it was good.

Shades

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
I explored it back in the early 70s pre-tripling, it was a cracking building. The entire understage area was an enormous air handling plant with a refrigeration unit that was reputedly commissioned then the fuses removed as it was never likely to be used in the north east.

Speed

Got Epic?
Regular User
I'm sure there used to be more reports from here. It deffo did get explored by a few.