real time web analytics
Report - - ABC Cinema, Portsmouth, June 10 | Theatres and Cinemas | 28DaysLater.co.uk

Report - ABC Cinema, Portsmouth, June 10

Hide this ad by donating or subscribing !

Ryno118

28DL Full Member
28DL Full Member
This cinema is on Cosham high street and was build in 1934 as the The Carlton Cinema. It has a Art Deco design and has been renovated twice. First in WW2 after it was hit and badly damaged during an air raid in which 4 people were killed. And again in 1982 when it became a 3 screen cinema. The cinema has had many names though the years, including The Carlton; The Classic; Essoldo and Cannon and was known as Cineplex when it was closed in 2007, but it is known to most as ABC. The future is uncertain for this building.

I went solo for this explore and had to rush it a bit, which is a shame because there are lots of interesting shots to be had. There is a massive basement, Roof access from inside the building and lots of little rooms and hatches.

Street shot
Untitled_HDR14.jpg

Big main screen (not sure what number)
Untitled_HDR10.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

Medium size screen
IMG_0864.jpg

Small screen
IMG_0863.jpg

Entrance
Untitled_HDR11.jpg

Untitled_HDR13.jpg

Untitled_HDR12.jpg

Projector room
IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0871.jpg

Ventilation fan inside an air duct in the basement
IMG_0891.jpg

The place has been trashed and graffitied a bit, but is not as bad as I expected. The only untouched area might be the projector room for the big screen as access it blocked pretty well, unless there is another way in that I didn't see? This was one of my favourite explores, mostly because of the good memories I have from my childhood. Its a shame to see it like this but it brought back some good times.

Cheers.